Could not add users in Jira Cloud Dev instance

JRodney Estrada January 21, 2021

Hi all,

I'm trying to add a 4th user on my Jira Cloud Dev instance but get "could not add users". Anyone know why? I thought Dev instances allow up to 10 users. I've tried over a span of a week but still get same error.

Thanks!

Could_not_add_users.PNG

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 26, 2021

Hi,

Sorry to hear about these problems when adding users to your Atlassian Cloud site.  I only see three users added to this site so far.  And while Jira Service Management on the free plan has a limit of 3 users, Jira Software and Confluence on free plans have a limit of 10 users.

So I agree this should not be happening.  However there is something odd in your screenshot.  Typically product access to Jira Service Management is managed by the default group called 'jira-servicedesk-users'.  Your screenshots appear to have removed all the default access groups for each product.

Here is what my groups look like for an example:

Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 1.33.35 PM.png

In turn each product should have a default access group like so:

Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 1.35.43 PM.png

I suspect that when you are trying to add a user, you invite them, and then choose which products they are supposed to have access to by selecting the checkbox seen in:

Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 1.39.43 PM.png

If you do that, those checkboxes are depending on default groups existing for product access.  The alternative here is to specify which group(s) that user should belong to.  In order for that user to be able to login to this cloud site, they need to have product access to at least one such product.  Otherwise they cannot login here.

So I would suggest adding back those default groups or creating new default groups.  As long as each product has a default group, then those checkboxes can be used to grant users access to the site.  If that is not preferred for some reason, you still need to add that user to some group at the time they are invited so that they have some level of product access.

Try this and let me know the results or if you have any questions.

Andy

JRodney Estrada January 26, 2021

hi @Andy Heinzer ,

thank you, will do!

0 votes
JRodney Estrada January 22, 2021

@John Funk ,

Good question. I checked my product access page (screenshot below) and each product shows either 0, 2 or 3 users. I'm just trying to add 1 user to the Jira Software product.

I appreciate the help

Product_Access.PNG

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2021

Hi @JRodney Estrada  - Do you have other products with users in them? Like JSM, Confluence, Opsgenie? JSM and Opsgenie, for example, max out at 3 people. So if you have the same 3 people in there, it will prevent you from adding additional people - even in Jira where you have a license for 10. Try to remove someone from the other products and see if you can add them. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2021

I will escalate to see if someone with Atlassian can help you out.

Like JRodney Estrada likes this
0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 21, 2021

first thing to check is admin > user management and assess the number of active users. If that looks clean then what is the error message and what if anything is unique about the user you are trying to add, e.g. email address.

JRodney Estrada January 21, 2021

User management dash shows 3 active users including myself.

1 Org Admin (my Manager)

1 Site Admin (me)

1 Jira User

Above accts are all using same work email domain. i.e. user_name@mycompany.com

The 4th user I'm trying to add also has the same work email domain. 

User_Mgmt_Dash.PNGCould_not_add_users.PNG

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 21, 2021

well that seem like something weird with your instance maybe. Can you try a different browser just for grins?

JRodney Estrada January 22, 2021

no success with different browser

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events