Copying Text Username into Single User Picker field

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2021

Hey Everybody - We want to use the API to supply username values from outside of our instance of Jira. But that doesn't seem to work unless you use the 8 foot long accountId field. I can't do that with 960 users from an outside system. 

So our plan was to simply copy over the username or display name into a text field, and then copy that value into the Single User Picker field using automation. 

I don't get an error - it says Success - but it doesn't actually copy the value into the user field. 

Any recommendations to try? 

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2021

I am using Tray.io in order to populate Insight with records from Jamf, and the way I solved the Atlassian user ID was to first lookup the user in Jira by search in their email address. The returning object contains the account ID and I am then using it to populate the owner in Insight.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 8, 2021

I will give this a shot and see what happens. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 11, 2021

I think we were able to get this going. Thanks for the guidance!

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 8, 2021

Do you have access to scripting tools? I think you would have to write a script to do a user search based on the text entered, and set the user picker field based on the found user.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events