Copy/Clone Epic, Tasks, Sub-Tasks, links 1:1 to a new Project

Christian Mahlknecht May 7, 2020

Is it possible to "copy" or "clone" an epic with tasks and subtasks 1:1 into a new project in Jira Cloud, with an App or Automation? All links should remain the same and each task should be assigned to the epic and all Sub-Tasks to each Task as well. ?

I tried several apps but either the sub-tasks are not copied or the links refer to the old project or no epic is created. Can anyone help? Maybe with an automation?

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 7, 2020

Hi Christian,

I'm the product manager of Deep Clone for Jira.

I've seen that you already contacted our support team. I hope your clone was already successful? 

For other readers :) 

You can clone an Epic along it's tasks and sub-tasks with our cloud app Deep Clone for Jira.

After you've installed Deep Clone you simply:

- Open the Epic

- Select Deep Clone from the actions menu of the Epic

- Select the desired target project ... and clone.

Don't hesitate to get in touch with us if you have feedback or questions.

Christian Mahlknecht August 6, 2020

Hallo @Marlene Kegel - codefortynine 

sry for my late reply. Deep Clone is great and solves all our problems ;) I just wanted to ask in general if there is a free solution or if there is something already integrated in Jira Software.

Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 6, 2020

Thank you for your positive feedback, @Christian Mahlknecht ! It's great to hear, that Deep Clone for Jira solves all your problems :) 

Andreas Bock November 3, 2020

The licence has to be bought, if we use it in our company to copy tasks? The function "clone" covers the same functionality but has a different meaning in the JIRA world.

Marketplace Partner
November 4, 2020

Welcome to the community, @Andreas Bock !

I am not sure if I understood your question correctly, but you don't need an extra Marketplace app to clone tasks in Jira.

Deep Clone for Jira offers advanced functionality that is not available in the basic clone feature:

• Bulk Clone several issues at once
  • Clone Epics and their issues and keep the hierarchy
  • Advanced Single Clone features, e.g. cloning comments

Does that help?

Andreas Bock November 4, 2020

Hello @Marlene Kegel -codefortynine- ,

the question is: "Deep clone for jira" offers a free version. We can use it as a company? From which point on is it not free anymore? Christian asked the same question above. 

Marketplace Partner
November 4, 2020

Ah. Now I get it :)

Free trial means, you can test the full feature set of Deep Clone for Jira for free for 30 days. 

0 votes
Jean Deson April 27, 2023

Hi all, 
Today i finish my automations for clonning entire EPIC with task and sub task. It takes me a little time but it's ok now.
The base is this.

First automation

• Clones the EPIC
  • Clones all sub tasks (in the initials task)
  • Clones the taks and put the cloned key in the initial task in a free new field

Second automation

• for updated new field in the initials task
  • update the new subtacks (not the initials, for me filtered by component) with the value of the new reference task

Third automation

• for updated new field in the finals subtask (filtered by component)
  • update the parent with 

{ "fields": {"parent": {"key": "{{issue.newField}}"}}}

This way is because updating parent link not works in a nesteed loop from parent level. 

note that i dont put all details of cleaning components and other fields. 

Suggest an answer