Coping an Epic and it's child issues to a new Project

AmandaB
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 3, 2023

What is the best process to copy an Epic and it's child issues from one project to another?

5 answers

1 vote
Laura Campbell _Seibert Media_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2023

Hi @AmandaB ,

As you'll read in the article Carlos linked, there are a couple different ways to do it. How often you need to do this and how many Epics you want to copy at a time, as well as whether or not you want to copy subtasks will determine the best solution.

I'll just share that I also wrote a tutorial for how to do it with Elements Copy & Sync : https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/How-to-clone-an-Epic-with-all-its-issues/ba-p/2185568

(btw, I'm with the company behind the app)

AmandaB
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 4, 2023

Hi Laura

Thanks for getting back to me

We have an IT Operations project that consists of 3 business units epics and subtasks to make up the overall roadmap

I want to take out mt BU's epics and subtasks consisting of 4 Epics

Thanks

Amanda

1 vote
Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2023
0 votes
Luka Hummel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 16, 2023

Hi Amanda,

I'm Luka from codefortynine and our app Deep Clone for Jira can clone whole issue hierarchies (Initiative - Epic - Task/Story- Subtask) from one project to another or even whole projects. You can find more about how to do that here.

0 votes
Diana_Architect_ZigiWave
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 6, 2023

@AmandaB hi there. +1 for the above-mentioned solutions. Just like to add another option - ZigiOps. It will connect & sync the projects, without saving any of their data. Feel free to try it via the free trial option

Regards, Diana (ZigiOps team)

0 votes
Syed Majid Hassan -Exalate-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2023

Hi @AmandaB

This is Majid @ Exalate. 

Is it a one time copy or a copy that needs to remain in sync? If this is the former, then I believe Jira automations would do the job sufficiently, but if you are interested in the latter or if you want to customize aspects of this copy operation, I would urge you to look at a synchronization solution like Exalate. Please review this post to get a glimpse into what is possible with this. 

Give us a shout out if you are interested to explore the product further. 

Thanks

Majid

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events