Control chart for next-gen project

Roman Kovalevsky April 7, 2020

Hi there. I'm missing the control chart (as well as few others) in the next-generation project. How can I get it?

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 7, 2020

Hi Roman,

that chart is not available in NG. I am unsure if it will be added in the future or not.

thanks for letting me know, Jack. Hope someone from atlassian could clarify when this would be available

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2020

Hi @Roman Kovalevsky 

According to this Atlassian post, the control chart for Next Gen will be added some time in 2020:

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/whats-new/next-gen#intheworks

Best regards,

Bill

Hi @Bill Sheboy , 2020 is better than nothing, thanks! 

Chris Sumedca July 24, 2020

Looks like the control chart has not yet been shipped nor is at their backlog.  We've been longing to move away from spreadsheets

Dietrich Lehr July 31, 2020

What happened to the control chart? I've been waiting specifically for this report to move away from the legacy project to the next gen. I don't see this in the 2020 "in the works" anymore

This report is much more useful than the cumulative flow chart for us.

Like Amir Barkal likes this
Amir Barkal August 12, 2020

Joining @Dietrich Lehr question - can we get an estimate for the control chart in next-gen projects?

Thanks!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 12, 2020

@Amir Barkal, i do not think you will get an estimate in this forum. Short of seeing an Atlassian convey that 'we are working on this now' or 'this is on our roadmap', I have never seem any commitment for feature schedule in the Community. Nor would I expect one TBH.

Like Amir Barkal likes this
Dietrich Lehr August 12, 2020

I figured they would for this, considering ig was on the roadmap for 2020 and then pulled.

Chris Sumedca October 15, 2020

and three months has passed ... 

hope atlassian would look at this. 

Missing this measurement is like missing a couple of letters in the alphabet. This is fundamental. 

Håkan MacLean December 2, 2020

Same here. Would love to start using next gen, but we need this chart. After reading the "Accelerate" book this chart is extra important for us. 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 2, 2020

Hi @Håkan MacLean 

The classic project "control chart" has some limitations in regards to being an actual and useful control chart for process evaluation.  If that same version is implemented for NextGen, it may have the same limitations. 

Please consider reviewing the documentation for the current chart to see if it meets your needs, and if not, consider checking the marketplace for dashboard gadget options or using a data export/pull to build your own analytics.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/view-and-understand-the-control-chart/

Best regards,

Bill

Will McNelis December 2, 2020

Without the control chart, is there another way to derive average cycle time and lead time?

Like Hamish Smith likes this
Emre Toptancı _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 3, 2020

Hello @Will McNelis ,

For a ready built solution that offers great flexibility and details, our team at OBSS built Time in Status app for this exact need. It is available for Jira Server, Cloud and Data Center.

Time in Status allows you to see how much time each issue spent on each status or assigned to each assignee as well as entry/exit dates for all statuses. You can also combine statuses into consolidated columns to see metrics like Ticket Age, Cycle Time or Lead Time. You can calculate averages and sums of those durations and counts grouped by issue fields you select. (For example see the total InProgress time per Epic, or average number of InProgress transitions per issuetype). 

tisCloud_StatusDuration_Report.png  tisCloud_IssueView_Chart_StackedColumn.png  tisCloud_MainPage_Chart_Pie_ExcludeMarked.png

The app calculates its reports using already existing Jira issue histories so when you install the app, you don't need to add anything to your issue workflows and you can get reports on your past issues as well.

The app has Custom calendar support which means you can get your reports based on a 24/7 calendar or your custom business calendar. (This one is important because a 24/7 calendar in most cases shows misleading data. For example an issue created at 16:00 on Friday and was resolved at 09:00 on next Monday seems to stay open for 2,5 days but in terms of business hours, it is only a few hours. You can see this using Time in Status by OBSS.)

Finally, the app has History Trim feature. This feature allows you to report on a subsection of issue histories instead of the whole history. Very useful when you want to focus on changes made during sprint or project phase.

Using Time in Status you can:

• See how much time each issue spent on each status, assignee, user group and also see dates of status transitions.
  • Calculate averages and sums of those durations grouped by issue fields you select. (For example see average InProgress time per project and per issuetype.)
  • Export your data as XLS, XLSX or CSV.
  • Access data via REST API. (for integrations)
  • Visualize data with various chart types.
  • See Time in Status reports on Jira Dashboard gadgets (released for cloud, server&DC gadget coming soon)

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/1211756

EmreT

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 3, 2020

Hi @Will McNelis  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

If you do not want to purchase an add-on from the marketplace for lead and cycle time, you have several options:

• Pull your issue data into Excel or Google Sheet using the Atlassian provided plug-ins and analyze the data
  • Pull the data using the REST API functions to analyze the data in another tool, such as a spreadsheet, Power BI, etc.
  • Build your own measures using custom fields and automation rules, triggered on events like status changes.  Some of my teams are using that method to see cycle time and average WIP measures.

Best regards,

Bill

Will McNelis December 3, 2020

Thank you both @bill and @Emre Toptancı _OBSS_ for the responses!  Emre, I will check out the add on that your team built for sure. Bill, I was already thinking about biting the bullet and doing something in Power BI as the control chart always did leave a bit to be desired.

As a side note, it is strange that Atlassian would leave the tool out that provided industry standard metrics out of the box with no replacement. Oh well...

Thanks again!

Like # people like this
Bloompeak Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 10, 2020

Hi @Will McNelis ,

As an alternative, you can try Status Time app developed by our team. There is also free but limited version of it, Status Time free.

Once you enter your working calendar into the app, it takes your working schedule into account too. That is, "In Progress" time of an issue opened on Friday at 5 PM and closed on Monday at 9 AM, will be a few hours rather than 3 days. It has various other reports like assignee time, status entry dates, average/sum reports(eg. average in progress time per project).

Here is the online demo link, you can see it in action and try. Hope it helps.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events