Connect Atlassian / Jira with Exchange to allow communications from Tickets

Wolvie Tech May 13, 2021

What is the additional coding or App needed to incorporate email services within Jira tickets.  This is to send notes. inquiries, information from a ticket to the user or any other email address intended.  This should also allow the email to be captured and saved within the Ticket as "Activity", just as with the "Reply to Customer".

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 13, 2021

Welcome to the Community, @Wolvie Tech

Generally if you're looking for communication with external customers, you'd probably want a Jira Service Management project, rather than a Software project. It's set up to have an email channel that allows customers to create and reply to tickets via email, which then gets added to the ticket as comments. It doesn't require any connection to Exchange; Jira (all flavors) have a built-in mail server. Service Management also allows you to assign unique incoming addresses to different JSM projects, so a client could send an email to Support@youratlassianaddress.com and have a ticket created (and updated upon email reply) in Project A, or send an email to Ops@youratlassianaddress.com and have a ticket created in Project B.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/receive-requests-from-an-email-address/

Wolvie Tech May 13, 2021

Sorry.  I may not have stated strongly enough, my interest.

I am interested in sending tickets from within our Jira Service Management Project tickets to other than the customer without having to re-assign the ticket to an alternate Technician / Team.  Copying and pasting details of the ticket into an Outlook email leaves so much to miss out or miss-align.

Thank you for your statement, but...

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 13, 2021

Ah, OK. Sorry for the misunderstanding. In that case, I don't have a perfect answer. Are the "other than the customer" people internal or external? Are they Jira users? There is the ability to share tickets. If you want to share with internal users, you can just add them (from the JSM interface, not the portal view) into the Request Participants field. If they're external, there are a few things you can do depending on how you want it to work.

If you want a ticket to be automatically shared with specific groups of people, you can set up customer organizations (which don't have to contain only actual customers). I believe you can also add any customer to the Request Participants field and they will have access to the ticket, but it's been a while since we've done anything like that and you'd need to test.

Like Wolvie Tech likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events