Configuring print labels in JIRA Insight problem

Ilia Shapira July 13, 2021

We have a very simple Insight schema. Only two objects Person and Receipt.

Person contains basic details like First Name, Last Name, Address etc.

Receipt contains a reference to Person  (to know who paid) amount and date.

To be able to print receipt we created a template and used Insert Placeholder for the information from both Person and Receipt objects (First Name, Last Name, Address, amount and date etc)

The problem is when we try to print a receipt the information from  Receipt object is there, but all the information from Person object is empty.

Any idea what we are dong wrong ? Why it allows us to use data from Person when we use Insert Placeholder, but not showing it ?

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Peter-Dave Sheehan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 13, 2021

The label template is associated with the entire schema. So ALL attributes are available.

But you can see some warnings in the section "Adding Placeholder" in the documentation.

ou can use the Insert placeholders drop-down to add any of the attributes available for this object schema. One of the first attributes is "Attribute list" – when selected, it will add an additional configuration when printing a template, where you can select the attributes you want.

Some things to watch out for

• Some attributes may be specific to certain object types. Using the same template for other object types will render the text as "No value" on the printed labels.
  • Additionally, if you have a language setting enabled for Insight, for example Spanish, the "No value" text will be printed as "Sin valor". Well, at least everybody will get it.

Looks exactly like what you are describing.

I played around to see if the label template placeholder supported the "dot notation" to drill down into an attribute that refers to an object and retrieve an attribute from that object. But it doesn't seem to work.

Yes I saw this documentation page

It doesn't really help me to understand how to resolve my issue

Peter-Dave Sheehan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 13, 2021

I think this is basically saying that you can't get attributes from other objects when printing a label for the current object.

You would have to replicate data from your user into your receipt object if you need to include that in the label template.

I don't think the mindville/atlassian team had your use case in mind when they designed the label template feature.

Yep but replicating the data kind of defeats the purpose of building a database in Insight 

Peter-Dave Sheehan
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 13, 2021

Agreed.

I'm only suggesting the best workaround I can think of given the feature's limitation.

Beyond that, you would have to work outside of the existing functionality and build your own report somehow.

A feature request would be a good start.

Christian Wille June 22, 2022

how do create 1d Barcodes

Suggest an answer