Configuring permissions for an app in my account

Steve Arch March 30, 2021

We're developing a Jira Cloud app and are needing a way for admins to configure which projects an app has access to (or will fire webhooks on events for).

The documentation here (https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/security-for-connect-apps/#authorization-via-scopes-and-app-users) implies that an admin should be able to just configure permissions for the "app user", but I can't find anything in the UI to be able to configure access as described.

Is it possible, and if so, can someone inform me how I can configure it so that my installation of our app only has access to certain jira projects and not others?

1 answer

0 votes
Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 30, 2021

Hi @Steve Arch 

Welcome to community!  I think that is done based on the permission scheme and by default app users account has access to all project. Something to think about, in your app you can access the permission scheme API and update the configurations directly to restrict the app - I think that's one of the ways to go about it.

Steve Arch March 31, 2021

We want this to be done by Jira Admins so that they can select which projects can opt-in to the use of the app to prevent huge installations flooding our system with webhooks that get set up. Therefore we can't define it in the app itself. The documentation suggested that Jira Admins could restrict which projects the app has access to.

Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 31, 2021

Yes, Jira-admins can adjust it but I think it's through the permission scheme which is a manual work if you're considering multiple projects and also take note that multiple projects can share the same scheme which makes this a difficult feature to implement.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events