Configure a company-managed board

Tal Laitner April 26, 2021

Hi, 

I'm using a Configure a company-managed board that I created from Project template ( Task Tracking ). 

I'm trying to locate the "Board settings" for editing the layout and mapping the statuses in this board but unfortunately I can't find it... 

According to this URL : 

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/configure-a-company-managed-board 

I'm looking for 

• project administrator for the location of the board

• board administrator for the board itself

I tried to switch the permission scheme with another one I'm already using in other Kanban boards and I assign myself into Administrator privilege's of the project. 

I know that in Kanban templates I can manage the privilege's inside the board setting, but in  Configure a company-managed board I can't reach into the setting of the board itself.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2021

Hello @Tal Laitner 

Are you able to display the board? Can you provide a screen image of what you see?

Sure

66E2128E-5C3F-4478-AE99-AE4D6013D972.jpeg

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2021

The page that you referenced is for the JIRA Software product and details working with boards for a JIRA Software type of project.

Based on your image, you are working with a Business Project (as seen in the left side pane where it says Business Project directly below the project name).

I do not work with Business projects generally, so my comments below are based on having created a test Business project and experimenting with it.

I found this reference for configuring a board for a business project

There is not a Board Settings option for boards associated with Business Projects.

With regard to mapping statuses to columns, I think each status in the workflow gets its own column. It doesn't look like multiple statuses can be mapped to a single column. For arranging the columns you would simply grab the column in the view you've shown and drag it to its new location.

Hi,

first of all thanks, this is the problem case,

you can see under then topic of this question that I’m referring to company managed board which is the board that being crating when using custom Jira project template ;).

The only thing I managed to achieve is that if I’m changing the workflow and add statuses, the board itself updating with the new statuses but as you mention I can’t union many statuses to one column,

Further there is no any other setting like usually under Kanban board such card layout / quick filters and more.

it’s very strange especially according to the link I attached in the begging of the question thread...

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 26, 2021

Hello,

There are multiple categorizations for projects in JIRA.

- Team Managed vs. Company Managed

- Business project vs. Software project vs. Service project

Each project is categorized in both of the two groupings above. These categorizations affect different aspects of functionality for the project and its associated board.

The latter category (Business/Software/Service) corresponds to the JIRA products that are available - JIRA Core, JIRA Software, and JIRA Service.

JIRA Core is a subset of the functionality available in JIRA Software. With JIRA Core you could only create Business projects (not Software projects). If you have JIRA Software that includes the JIRA Core functionality. With JIRA Software you can create Business projects and Software projects

When you elected to use the Task Tracking template, that template resulted in the creation of a Business project. Business projects have less functionality than Software projects, and their boards also have less functionality. Subsequently, when looking at documentation that is relevant to this project and its board you will need to look at JIRA Core documentation rather than JIRA Software documentation.

Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 11.55.46 AM.png

If your JIRA Cloud instances gives you access to the JIRA Software product and you are familiar with board management for Software projects and want a task tracking project that you can manage the same way, you are going to have to create a new project with a different template that yields a Software project rather than a Business project.

Hi,

So you actually saying that I will have to create custom Kanban board that implementing simple workflow of Task Tracking template ?

Or there is another way of creating this Task Tracking template with Jira Software Core components ?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 26, 2021

Hello @Tal Laitner 

If you want to have the same functionality in this board and administer it the same way you do for Software projects, then yes, you will have to create a Software project instead of a Business project and customize it as needed.

You said you are trying to implement a simple workflow. The workflow for the template Software project is simple; To Do, In Progress, and Done. It seems from the image that you pasted that the Workflow you want (using that term to mean the Statuses available for the issues) is actually not simple.

What exactly are you trying to simplify?

I’m trying to create project/s that will express Tasks tracking for my business and unify other sub systems in my organization,

Therefore I need to create the suite board as close as to the current system (Asana),

From your answer I understand what are my options ;)

Thank you very much for clarifying this issue. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events