Config automatic backup

Farhaad_n January 12, 2022

Hi, I am using jira software

in system > indexing > index recovery is on and schedule on every day on 9PM

now,

1. /opt/atlassian/jira/jira-home/export directory is only for backup?

2. can I delete all files in /opt/atlassian/jira/jira-home/export directory? or cleanup except the last file?

3. can I tell jira to automatically delete older than one week's backup files?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 12, 2022

Hey @Farhaad_n 

This one is "system > indexing > index recovery" different from backup. This setting is for index recovery.

Backup automation will be configured in this settings Administration > System > Advanced > Services

1. /opt/atlassian/jira/jira-home/export directory is only for backup? --> Yes it is location where all backup files are stored as xml

2. can I delete all files in /opt/atlassian/jira/jira-home/export directory? or cleanup except the last file? --> you can delete the old backup files, dont delete all files. Based on your company backup & retention policy you can delete the old backup files. Usually backup files have name of the day, time when they were generated so check the old ones and if they are not required for your archives delete them.

3. can I tell jira to automatically delete older than one week's backup files? --> From Jira UI we cannot tell to automatically delete those files, you may have to write a bash script to do that for you. Please check out this https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/user-submitted-backup-restore-scripts-195767.html (this link is for confluence, but it gives an idea to write a script and do automation)

Regards,

Vishwas

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2022

If you're on a Unix-like system, then take a look at "logrotate" - one line in those settings can completely automate backup removal

Like Vishwas likes this
1 vote
Utkarsh Agarwal _Nagarro_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 12, 2022

Hi @Farhaad_n ,

Yes export in Jira server is a place for Automated backup archives. It completely depend on you and your companies policy how old backups you wish to retain on your server.

Read more here: Jira application home directory 

For your 3 requirement, refer here which has some suggestions you can explore.

Kind Regards

Utkarsh

0 votes
Hannah Weider June 21, 2022

Hey there! If you're searching for a simpler solution for backing up your data, we built Rewind for Jira Cloud to solve this problem. Our app offers automated backups and self-serve restores. We're now in the Atlassian Marketplace, so feel free to check out the app and try it free for 7 days. We'd love to hear your thoughts!

Suggest an answer