Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Confiforms Create Nested Jira Issues

Hi all, 

I'm currently using a Confiform in Confluence to create Issues within a Jira project using the app-link connection and an IFTTT macro with a nested No format macro containing JSON as described  in https://wiki.vertuna.com/display/FORMS/How+to+create+a+form+to+create+a+Jira+issue+from+Confluence 

By using this method, or something similar, how would you create a Jira issue, with additional nested issues e.g. a parent Epic with a number of child Tasks or a Parent Task with a number of child sub-tasks.  

Curious if this is achievable and appreciate any advice to how to get  it done. 

Thanks, 

Drew

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hi

You will need to write back the issue key of the created issue

and define more IFTTTs to create sub-tasks

Sub-tasks mappings could then use the value of a created key you got in step #1 and put back to the form's record in step #2

(https://wiki.vertuna.com/display/TEST/Create+Jira+issue%2C+save+the+created+Jira+key+back+to+ConfiForms+and+create+a+page+with+Jira+macro)

Alex

Thanks @Alex Medved _ConfiForms_ , will give it a try and let you know.

@Alex Medved _ConfiForms_  I currently have two ifttt macros, first is to create the jira issue and the second is to create/update confiforms entry.

I created a form field definition in the confiform 'jid' for the jira id to be written to and I've set the parameters in the second ifttt macro to:

entryId=[entry.id]&jid=${iftttResult_createJiraIssue}

But I'm getting an error of 'unknown macro: iftttResult_createJiraIssue'

if I update the parameters to entryId=[entry.id]&jid=iftttResult_createJiraIssue 

The error goes away but it doesn't write to the confiform...

Also the video on the page you linked doesn't seem to load.

Appreciate any advice..

UPDATE: Even though there is the 'unknown error' it still writes the Jira Issue Key to the Confiform. 

@Alex Medved _ConfiForms_ Would you be able to post an example of a sub-task mapping in a subsequent IFTTT to show how it should be done?

When you put {} in a macro parameters in Confluence the editor fails to render the macro's placeholder and says it's an "unknown macro".

Luckily it does not affect the functionality

Also, instead of ${iftttResult_createJiraIssue} you can have [iftttResult_createJiraIssue]

Alex

Like Drew T likes this

As for the sub-tasks - add more IFTTT rules (just after the IFTTT that updates your record with a Jira key) and set the "parent" in their JSON mappings to take the value from [entry.jid] field

Good and simple example of such mapping

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Creating-Sub-Task-In-Jira-via-API-Rest/qaq-p/774749

Alex

Like Drew T likes this

Thanks Alex, that is great!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

An update on Jira Software customer feedback – June 2022

Hello Atlassian Community! Feedback from customers like you has helped us shape and improve Jira Software. As Head of Product, Jira Software, I wanted to take this opportunity to share an update on...

5,097 views 18 33
Read article

Atlassian Community Events