Completing sprint leaves the completed sprint in all issues, together with new one

Idan Klein January 11, 2021

Hi all,

We started using active sprints, and I have a question regarding completing a sprint.

I had an active sprint, let's say "AA Sprint 1", and when it was over I clicked "complete sprint", and under "Select where all the incomplete issues should be moved:" I chose the next sprint, "AA Sprint 2".

The jiras were transferred to AA Sprint 2, but all the open ones still has the old sprint together with the new one - under sprint field I see "AA Sprint 1, AA Sprint 2".

I managed to change it manually in bulk operation, but I was wondering if that's how it supposed to be or I'm missing something in the process.

Thank you in advance!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Sandesh Shetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2021

@Idan Klein 

I think it is the expected behaviour. Please find the below screenshot here one issue is currently in sprint 3(active sprint) but same issue was part of 2 completed sprints. So in sprint field it is showing all the three sprints.

sprint.png

It appears that JIRA adds multiple sprints to an issue when it rolls over from sprint to sprint. For example if an issue could not be completed in Sprint 1 and is rolled over into Sprint 2, then JIRA adds Sprint 2 to the "Sprint" field of the issue while also retaining Sprint 1 in the Sprints field. If the issue again rolls over to Sprint 3, then JIRA also adds Sprint 3 as well to the "Sprint" field of the issue, so now the Sprint has 3 values.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2021

Yes this is by design. It maintains the history of where you planned to complete the issue but did not. It ensure historic sprint reports are accurate. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events