• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Column Management

I am new to Jira - Kanban as a project administrator and would love to know if I can set restrictions on the "done" column to disappear? I do not want cards/issues staying in the "done" column forever which will then allow the Kanban to become overwhelmed while trying to hold status meetings and review what we have completed thus far. How do I set a time limit of when the "done" column disappears and where does it disappear to?

3 answers

1 vote
John Funk Community Leader Mar 18, 2019

Hi Cassandra and welcome to the community.

A project administrator should be able to do a Release on the board, which clears out the Done column for you. We meet weekly to review what we have accomplished and to do a release. But that time period can be whatever works best for your team. 

You can also set the sub-filter on your board to hide the Done cards after a certain amount of time. But that just masks things to me. But it works!

Hope that helps. 

Hi John! Thanks so much! I’ll try both out and see which one I like better 

1 vote
Jack Community Leader Mar 18, 2019

Hi @Cassandra Grayes , welcome to the community. Yes you can do this. That is what the sub-filter in Kanban boards are often used for. for example you could add the following to your current sub-filter...

resolved >=-2w or resolved is empty

Hi jack! Thanks so much. The resolved query, is that located in board settings? 

Jack Community Leader Mar 18, 2019

Yes. see image below...

subfilter.jpg

@Cassandra Grayes  There is no such thing as to make a column "disappear" on an Agile board. 

A nice approach which I have used in the past is to restrict the number of resolved/done issues on the board, by modifying the Board filter JQL, so that the board appears nice and does not overwhelm users. For Example, a sample JQL query will be like:

((project = "your project name" and resolution = Unresolved) or (project = "your project name" and resolved >= -1w order by Rank ASC))

The above query will restrict the number of resolved/done issues to the issues resolved only in last 1 week

Hope it helps ! 

Thanks! Where does the resolved/done issues go to once I set the restrictions for a week to be removed from the "done" column? Will they always remain in the queue? 

John Funk Community Leader Mar 19, 2019

Technically, they will always be in a status of Done. The filters/sub-filters just tell the cards whether they should show up on the board or not. In the case of doing a release, the sub-filter checks to make sure the fixVersion field is empty. 

Taranjeet Singh Community Leader Mar 19, 2019

@Cassandra Grayes The resolved/done issues will not go anywhere, they will remain in the project. They will still be displayed in the "Done" column on Agile board, but their number will be restricted to only show issues that were resolved within last 1 week.

ohhh gotcha! Makes total sense. Thanks to you both.

Taranjeet Singh Community Leader Mar 19, 2019

@Cassandra Grayes Could you please mark the answer as accepted if it helped you?

It will help others in the community too.

Taranjeet Singh Community Leader Mar 20, 2019

@Cassandra Grayes Could you mark my answer as accepted, if your problem is resolved now?

I sure will once I test it. Thx!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Jira Software

Presenting the "Best of 2020" Jira Software roundup!

Catch up with Atlassian Product Managers in our 2020 Demo Den round-up! From Advanced Roadmaps to Code in Jira to Next-Gen Workflows, check out the videos below to help up-level your work in the new ...

3,675 views 5 15
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you