Cloud to Server migration - attachments not visible in issues

Dmitry Mironov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 21, 2020

Hello community.

Testing Cloud to Server migration for Jira.

have:

CloudJira

SourceJira - a temp jira instance for migration only

DestinationJira - a final jira instance where need projects from CloudJira. Version is the same as SeourceJira 8.6.1)

Actions:

1. Backup Cloud Jira for Server restoration.

2. Imported full cloud backup on temp Jira Server (SourceJira)

all attachments are available in issues and in jiradb.fileattachment table

3. Backup Jira data from SourceJira.

4. manually copy attachments from SourceJira to DestinationJira

5. On DestinationJira Set file and folder permissions on JIRA-HOME and all child folders to user under which Jira is running

6. On destinationJira import project from backup from SourceJira

7. Project is imported OK.

8. Open issue from the imported project and all attachments in description fiel or comments are shown as missing attachment images.

Attachments field on the issues view has no attachments

jiradb.fileattachment table has no records for this issue.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 21, 2020

Hi @Dmitry Mironov 

The above  are you doing a migration or project import?

For me the recommended steps are as follows:

1. Backup and download cloud for server. 
  2. Add the downloaded file to Jira server import folder
  3. Extract the backup and add the xml files to a separate zip folder.
  4. Copy the attachment, avatars and logo folders(I believe they are found in the Data folder after you extract them) was o the respective folders in your Jira
  5. Go to the UI and perform the restore from the backup.
  6. Lock and reindex your Jira.

The following steps should ensure you have the attachments show in the respective issues.

Cheers

Dmitry Mironov
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 21, 2020

Hi @Ismael Jimoh 

Thanks for the reply.

I already did this when restored cloud backup to temp jira server instance (SourceJira). And there is no issues with this migration/restoration and attachments are visible.

I need to migrate cloud projects to the existing Jira Server (DestinationJira).

And this is where I have issue - after project import (attachments are copied to DestinationJira beforehand) attachments are not visible in Jira interface and are missing on jiraDB.

Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 21, 2020

Hi @Dmitry Mironov 

So you are migrating from your staging JIRA server instance to the final staging JIRA instance.

If this is the case then do the following:

1. Backup the staging instance.
  2. Zip the attachment folder in the staging instance.
  3. Paste both of these to your destination instance-Home/import.
  4. Unzip the attachment folder.
  5. Begin your project import and note in the import UI make sure that it does not warn you about attachments.
  6. Complete project import.
  7. Check if the attachments are added correctly.

Let me know if this is what you meant as you must have your attachments in the import directory if you are doing project import.

Cheers.

Dmitry Mironov
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 21, 2020

Thanks.

Can you clarify a little bit about "Unzip the attachment folder"?

Do you mean unzip into Attachments folder or to import folder on DestinationJira?

Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 21, 2020

In step #2, I asked that you should zip the attachment folder of the source(You can also zip the attachment folder based on keys corresponding to the projects you want to migrate).

This has to be extracted in step #4 in the import folder(you may want to backup the original attachments directory found in the import folder).

With project import, JIRA looks at the attachment folder in the import directory to correctly map the files to the correct corresponding issues.

Does this help clarify things?

Like david likes this
Dmitry Mironov
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 21, 2020

@Ismael Jimoh  - you are a GREAT MAN!!!!
Thanks a lot.

This helped to fix this issue.

Like david likes this
david September 8, 2022

He is, isn't he ;)

Suggest an answer