Cloud to Cloud migration

serge calderara
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 22, 2024

Dear all,

I have tested to migrate one poject from one jira cloud instance to an other and I face a wierd issue.

In the source instance, the project  as 172 issue

When igration gets completed without error, I can see my project in my destination cloud instance, but there are no issue display and imported project issue key is not regognised in a search filter while it is fully valid and display in project detail

Any idea why the new key is not recognise and why I could not see any issues ?

regarsd

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2024

Hi @serge calderara,

Before anything else, I would review permissions on the migrated project (in the target site). Maybe you don't have the correct permissions yet to see the issues.

Hope this helps! 

serge calderara
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 22, 2024

hello @Walter Buggenhout ,

OK what I have notice after migration is all project role has been migrated BUT they were all empty NO members.

The same happen for role administrators where in source instance member is jira_admistrators group BUT after migration that role is empty

Any bug or stuff like this for populating roles and members or we have to remap profer groups manually ?

An other question is does this cloud to cloud migration is taking care of any plugin configuration during import ?

What  mean is that we have different type of plugin which have been configured in source custom field with different required custom field for Assets mapping.

Does this plugin configuration and field mapping need to be done before migration or does the migration tool is capable to recreate all custom field as well as plugin configuration ?

regards

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2024

Ooh, no. App data is not migrated between cloud sites, see this support article. Neither are assets, so be aware that you'll have to do a lot of the heavy lifting yourself.

Based on what you describe, in my daily job as a solution partner we do work with Revyz tooling to migrate config and data between cloud sites. If you plan to do this type of moving more frequently, you might want to look into that. 

serge calderara
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 23, 2024

hello @Walter Buggenhout ,

Thanks for your information based on that I have few questions

I have seen from the cloud to cloud migration tool a lot of important things are not migrate like in worflows, custom fields, and more

Q1 : How do you handle those things that are not imported, do you recreate them all in the target instance by hand ?

Q2 : Service management is not migrate, do you recreate fully by hand the project in the target cloud instance?

Q3 : We will need to migrate also confluence cloud instance, how does it happen when confluence has some links with jira issue '

Q4 : A lot of things are not migrated also from confluence how do you handle this ? once again you recreate all manually ?

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 24, 2024

Hi @serge calderara,

I won't be able to solve your entire migration through Q&A on Community here; but it honestly depends a lot on your scenario.

Now you also bring Confluence into the picture, you probably know that cloud is hosted by Atlassian and that there's a lot of things you can't manage yourself as a customer. Updating links between migrated Jira and Confluence data is something that we reach out to Atlassian for. Migrating a Confluence space (if it is not full of marketplace app data) can probably be done by exporting the space from the source site and then importing it again in the target site.

As I already mentioned, Revyz has a tool called data manager for Jira that may fill in some (even a lot) of the gaps. It's definitely worth looking into. But when it comes to apps and customisations that are not supported, yes - you may have to  manually configure stuff.

As a final note: be careful not to build migrating data between different sites into your daily practice. I am not sure what has led you to the situation you are currently facing, but don't set up many different sites when you know you will have to move things across a lot as a result of that. Or: if you do (e.g. when you set up a sandbox to test stuff and then later want to move things into production), make sure to also add tools to your stack to help you sync these over. If it's just data you need to sync (and not settings), you may look into some of the issue sync / integration apps in the marketplace

Suggest an answer