Closed issues showing on Scrum Backlog Board

Anida Softic June 26, 2018

Hi guys, I m facing with one issue while configuring Scrum boards for three projects.

We are using new workflow for three different issue types and default jira workflow for other unassigned issue types. We created one shared Sprint ( sprint 1) for three projetcs. We are not using Resolved screen/Resolution.

The problem is that closed issues are displayed in backlog for active sprint.

- The status of the issues is closed.

- "Closed" status is mapped to DONE/CLOSED column ...The last column on the right side (Columns board settings)

Is there any solution for fixing this problem and making closed issues not visible on backlog?

6 answers

1 vote
Jonny Adams
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 26, 2018

@Anida Softic You can move the Closed status to Unmapped if you do not want issues to appear on your sprint board at all once they are Closed.

Alternatively, you can create a "Quick Filter" on your board and give it a JQL query that excludes the Closed status. Then you can just click the quick filter of/on while you view your sprint board.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 26, 2018

but i don't think that is what Anida is asking. She is saying they are showing in the Backlog board not the sprint board. I agree completely that a "Hide Done" QF is a great filter to have on a board. I use that all the time to remove clutter when reviewing remaining work w/ the team.

Jonny Adams
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 26, 2018

I could be totally wrong here, but I believe that active sprints that display above the backlog on the backlog board inherit the configuration from the sprint board. I've run a quick test on my test server instance and that is what I have observed. In my experience, unmapping removes a status from view on both boards. 

Anida Softic June 27, 2018

Hi @jonny Adam, We want for closed issues  to show up on Active Sprints in the DONE column so we can be aware how many issues  have been resolved (closed) durint the sprint but I want them to not show up in Sprint list on  Backlog .. I tried with Quick filters, and that could be possible solution, but I read specification about JIRA  'JIRA Software does not display issues from the last column of the Scrum board configuration in the backlog section. If your closed issues are not mapped to the last column of the board, then they would be displayed in the backlog' and would like to figure out what is wrong on my backlog.

Like Quan Nguyen Duc likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 27, 2018

@Jonny Adams, yes indeed all active sprint issues including Done will show in the active sprint section of the Backlog. This is something that has changed in the last couple of years I think and personally I don't care for it. I would prefer to not display active sprint on the backlog board at all. Of course that can be done w/ a quick filter.

@Anida Softic, the only way to get rid of the Done from the Backlog is to create a quick filter. The good news is that even though the QFs apply to both boards (active sprint and backlog) they are set independently so switching back and forth doesn't leave them set/cleared.

Moses Thomas
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 27, 2018

@Jack BrickeyNo  in my version of Jira, once statuses are mapped  on board,  and issue  in active sprint is  set  to Closed status  and resolution is  done,  then it  disappears  from  back log,  but still  in the column done  on board, this  is what  she  wants then when  she completes  sprint  then  it will  disappear from  board.

@Anida SofticI am  wondering, i had this issue once and i fix it,  i think  some one mess with  workflow. could you re-open this issue again  and  push  it to  Closed and resolution  done, it should disappear  from  backlog.  and be in the done column on your board.

As  you have mentioned, the Done column should be mapped with Closed status.

best!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 27, 2018

@Moses Thomas, certainly could be a behavior difference between versions and/or server/cloud. I’m on cloud and confirmed the behavior that Johnny mentioned. 

@Anida Softic, what version are you on?

Hi @Jack Brickey, I'm on Cloud..(Jira 29e3749d) ...

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 27, 2018

so i suspect that on cloud that is the way it works. which is not how i expected it to work TBH. I don't use Scrum boards much these days in my current company so haven't played w/ those boards in quite a while except to test things out when helping out in the community. It isn't that way for Kanban.

Now, if @Moses Thomas you are on cloud and aren't seeing this then I'm certainly perplexed. Or if you can isolate some cause as you suggested that would be good to know as well. My test project is simple WF OOTB.

Moses Thomas
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 27, 2018

@Jack BrickeyI  am on  server, so it could  be that  it is  working  as  design, as cloud  could be  different from  server,   but i assume that  there is  no difference.

0 votes
David Cook October 10, 2019

Hi all, there's a better solution to this than modifying your workflow or just accepting that things are hidden once you put in a resolution. Instead, use the "openSprints()" variable along with the NOT operator. Example shown below:

AND NOT (Status = Done AND Sprint not in openSprints()) 

i.e. - NOT the ones that are done, unless they're in an active sprint.

Hoping this helps some people who stumble across this thread in the future. Best of luck, all

0 votes
Deleted user July 4, 2018

@Anida Softic When an issue is closed or moved to done , It will show up in the sprint backlog and the issue number will have a strike on it and in your case you are asking what can be done so that you don't see the issues which are done in the active sprint backlog the best way is to use a filter TO DO, So that you can only see the issues which have to be worked

Deleted user July 4, 2018

TODO.PNG

0 votes

@Moses ThomasI created new issue and set resolution to done, and Status to closed...But still able to see it on backlog...TONI_-_All_Sprint_7_-_Agile_Board_-_Additiv_JIRA.pngTONI_-_All_Sprint_7_-_Agile_Board_Columns.png

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 26, 2018

can you verify that the Resolution of the Done issues is indeed set? This is a requirement to have the not show up.

Hi Jack,  thank you for you answer. I have one defect with Status=Closed and Resolution=Done ( Closed status is mapped to Done Column in the board settings) but still, it is showing up in my Scrum backlog! 

Dania Ilmas July 1, 2019

I was facing the same issue and I had mapped the Done column to closed but apparently the last column in my board was "Blocked". I had added that there so it wont get in the way of normal workflow for my team. JIRA however had the idea that that was the final resolved state. As soon as I changed position and made the last column done it fixed itself and everything went back to normal. 

Here is a reference:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/closed-or-resolved-issues-are-appearing-in-the-scrum-board-backlog-779159078.html

0 votes
Moses Thomas
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 26, 2018

@Anida SofticJira marks issues completed when resolution status is  set  to  Done,  so set  resolution status  to  done, your problem  will be fixed.

Best!

Hi Thomas, thank you for you answer. I have one defect with Status=Closed and Resolution=Done ( Closed status is mapped to Done Column in the board settings) but still, it is showing up in my Scrum backlog! Additiv_JIRA.png

Suggest an answer