Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Close Issue using JQL Edited

Hello,

Does anyone know if an admin can bulk close open issues using JQL? 

issuetype = Bug status = In-Progress assignee = <all below users>

In this hypothetical scenario, there are 5 users who have a minimum of 10 issues assigned to each of them. How does an admin, bulk close using JQL?

• Jira Software User(1) = 10 issues (In-Progress)
  • Jira Software User(2) = 10 issues (To Do)
  • ... ...
  • Jira Software User(5) = 10 issues (In-Progress)

Note:

I understand the process of closing bulk issues via the Jira interface. This question is for admins who know how to close them using JQL only. 

3 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted

Hi @John Kurre  JQL is used to search required issue. With the help of JQL you can search issue which you want to close and do bulk operation, to transition the issues.

yes . You can transition issue using Rest API Post call. Below link helps you to transition issue.

https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/v3/api-group-issues/#api-rest-api-3-issue-issueidorkey-transitions-get

that is a great response. Using REST API, I see that one could issue a command to transition issues but the method allows transitioning only from one single issue at a time

{ "id": "<string>", "looped": true }

I will look into it but I believe this is a good primer.

Like Vikrant Yadav likes this
1 vote
Answer accepted
Dirk Ronsmans Community Leader May 02, 2021

Hi @John Kurre that won’t work. A JQL is just a search query. It will only return issues for you to do something with. 

Just running a JQL and closing the issues  returned will require some action like bulk edit

Well yes you can use the rest api to close issues (transition them to closed) but you’ll always need a minimum of 2 actions 

• Search the issues using a JQL
  • close the issues

so I fail to see what the advantage would be over using a bulk edit 

@Dirk Ronsmans Yes you are correct. Indeed, JQL may not be the solution. It could only “Fetch or Get” information in the tables, but it may not be feasible to <:write-jira-work> like REST. With JQL I could only search and bulk edit but I thought there might be another way. Thank you. 

I understand the process of closing bulk issues via the Jira interface. This question is for admins who know how to close them using JQL only. 

Hi @John Kurre You need to construct JQL they way you want to select issues based on the assignee, issue status etc like below  :

issuetype = Bug AND (status = "In Progress" AND assignee = User (1)) OR (status = "To Do" AND assignee = User(2)) OR (status = "In Progress" AND assignee = User(3)) 

This will give the result of all Bug issues for the given assignee based on the status.

Let me know if this helps

@Sagar MahajanThanks for the response but I think you may have misconstrued the question. I need JQL to close all issues assigned to any specific user. The issue is not to find issues (Bugs) based on assignee. The goal is to close all issues assigned to any user with JQL alone. 

Dirk Ronsmans Community Leader May 02, 2021

Hi @John Kurre that won’t work. A JQL is just a search query. It will only return issues for you to do something with. 

Just running a JQL and closing the issues  returned will require some action like bulk edit

@Dirk Ronsmans thank you. How about via REST API? Any thoughts?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Marketplace Apps & Integrations

Staying organized with Jira: best practices for a better project management

Project managers know this problem: A “mountain of work” lays in front of you, and you don’t know how and where to tackle them. Different to-dos lie ahead, but just one task after the other can be ha...

217 views 2 1
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you