Clear the value of "Parent Link" field when creating a new issue

Abhishek Kalamkar May 19, 2023

When creating a new issue, I need to clear the parent field. Parent link should be empty. 

I have tried multiple options like 

{
    "fields": {
        "parent": null  
    }
}

and 

{
"update" : {
"Parent Link" : [{"set": []}]
}
}

does not seems to work. 

can you please help to sort the issue out. 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2023

Hello @Abhishek Kalamkar 

It seems like you might be trying to do this in an Automation Rule. Is that the case? If so, please show us the complete automation rule and output from the Audit Log from the rule's execution.

What type of issue are you creating?

The Parent Link field normally contains an issue key. What type of issue is being specified by the issue key value that is in the field, that you are trying to clear?

Abhishek Kalamkar May 21, 2023

Hi @Trudy Claspill ,yes, I am trying with an automation rule. please find the automation rule that I am using. I have tried multiple ways in advanced editing field but no luck. 

JIRA Automation.jpg

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 21, 2023

Hello @Abhishek Kalamkar 

I see that the issue for which you are trying to clear this field is custom type you have named "New Feature".

Is this part of an extended issue hierarchy that was created in Jira Premium? If so, can you show us the Issue Hierarchy configuration page?

May I ask why are you trying to clear this field on a newly created issue? If this is part of an extended issue hierarchy, the parent of an issue is set only when the issue is created as a child of another issue through the roadmap Plan. If the issue was created as a child of another issue, why are you trying to immediately remove it from the parent issue?

Also, not that "Parent" and "Parent Link" are two separate fields. "Parent Link" is the field used to designate the parent issue for issues from Epic upwards. "Parent" is the field used to designate the parent issue for a subtask or the parent Epic of a standard issue type. Which field are you actually trying to clear?

Abhishek Kalamkar May 21, 2023

@Trudy Claspill : Thank you for your response. please find the issue hierarchy. I am trying to clear the "Parent Link" field not the "Parent"issue hierarchy.jpg field.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 22, 2023

To clear the "Parent Link" field this worked for me:

{
"fields": {
"Parent": null
}
}
Like aviv_eldad likes this
Abhishek Kalamkar May 22, 2023

OMG, this works. Trust me, I have tried the same code other day but wasn't working. Thank you @Trudy Claspill 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 23, 2023

Glad to help. 

If your issue has been solved please consider marking the Answer as Accepted to help other users find posts with validated solutions.

Like Abhishek Kalamkar likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events