Recognition

• Give kudos
  • My kudos

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Classic -vs- Next-gen projects, the future

Jira Software has pretty much all of the features I need. Having tried the next-gen templates out recently they are lacking some of the most important features – issue schemes, workflow association etc.

Are these features going to be incorporated into the next-gen templates or, if not, can we continue using the classic templates?

Basically I'm looking to commit to a tool but I don't want to jump in and then end up in a position where classic templates are dropped and next-gen ones don't have the required features.

2 answers

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Community Leader Jan 14, 2019

As a customer it is hard to say for sure what will be added for sure but here is my experienced opinion FWIW. NG projects have been created to provide a ‘no admin required’ offering. The solution provides a constrained project configuration and one that restricts impacts of any configuration change to a single project. My expectations are that schemes and workflows will likely not be implemented. If they are they will be more limited than Classic templates. 

That said Classic projects provide full configurability. 

Thanks, Jack. That's really helpful.

Like Pavel_Alimov likes this
Jack Community Leader Jan 15, 2019

You are most welcome. If your question is now resolved be sure to click the "Accept answer" above as it helps others when they have a similar question.

Like Moatasem Elberbawy likes this

Hey @Steve Perry , I often check the Next Gen Roadmap but it appears it is not always as verbose as some of the JIRA PM's flag in the forum......could help you none the less.

looking at how many features are still missing from NG Projects in general (SD, Kanban, etc.) it's impressive that there's only 2 things to come in 2020 (& not in a good way)

Jack Community Leader Aug 03, 2020

Kevin, FWIW, Atlassian has delivered many improvements already in 2020. Of course that may still leave NG in the 'not yet useful' category for you. While it is a nice resource, I don't think the roadmap fully represents reality.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

How to create Jira issus from Excel file?

When to use CSV importer When managing your processes in Jira, there are many occasions where you need to create a lot of tasks. Creating them one by one will cost you a lot of time and effort and i...

4,633 views 22 33
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you