Classic vs Next-gen project templates

A Zanad August 20, 2019

Hi, I am new to Jira software and was assigned a task to introduce Jira software to our software developing team.  I am familiar with the Agile project management methodologies and used Jira quite a number of years ago as a software developer.

After going through some tutorials and reading documentation I initially thought to use Next-get project templates and for any new project (depending on type of the project) to either choose Next-gen Kanban or Scrum.  For example, for bug fixing tasks using Kanban and for the new feature type projects to use Scrum.  

When I try to create a new project I am given a choice whether to select Classic or Next-gen project.  If I select Classic I am given Kanban project by default, but if I click 'Change template' the list of different templates appears on the screen.  One of those is Bug tracking.

I don't know how many users use Next-gen type projects?  Is it a popular new feature or is it best to stay and keep old fashioned Classic projects?

Is it worth using Classic Bug tracking project for bug fixing tasks or should I create Next-gen Kanban project for those purposes?

Thank you

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Krister Broman _Advania_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 20, 2019

As you say they are new, so not as many users yet on them. My main issue with them is that the projects are solitary items that gives the project admin full authority over their own projects which causes issues with standardization (in companies i work with, i'm sure others work differently) and its very basic in terms of adapting to specific requirements. 

I have yet to find a reason to use next gen projects but if you just need to get going and have it ready today without much knowledge, then they are great. You will learn a lot more about Jira if you use classic projects though ;-)

You can find a list in the official documentation on differences:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/working-with-next-gen-software-projects-945104895.html?_ga=2.179923812.1549119492.1566214069-291029761.1562597271

A Zanad August 21, 2019

Thank you for your answer.  I've decided to start with the classic templates based on Kanban types for the first few projects, mainly on bug fixes.  I think this way I can learn and customise Jira and at the same time should be a less bumpy ride having Kanban.  

Once we feel comfortable with it we can then start utilise more advanced staff with Scrums etc.

Crystal Ngeow October 25, 2019

i have noticed that with the next-gen-software project, the plugin for Zephyr seems unavailable. As the administor of the project, you are not able to create an issue type : Test (Zephyr). That is what i've noticed so far and might need to migrate to Classic software to utilize more features

Suggest an answer