Changing the status after the time expires

Synergy Administrator June 30, 2020

Good afternoon! Colleagues, we are just learning to work at Jira, we need your advice.

Developing a business process. It requires the task to change its status after a certain time has passed. That is, if the time is up, the task has moved to the "Closed" status.

Tell me, can I configure it this way?

1 answer

0 votes
Rudy Holtkamp
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2020

You can use Automation for Jira for it. Which is a paid app if you are on server and already included in Cloud (free).

For instance: You can create a scheduled rule that  runs every  hour to transition issues to Closed when the issue is in Done and not updated for 40 hours.

Synergy Administrator July 1, 2020

Thank! Rudy, I wanted to do this at the level of the business process (workflow) so that it could be applied again and again without additional settings. Is it possible?

Rudy Holtkamp
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 2, 2020

Yes, that is possible. There are two 'categories' of automation rules one is on project level and one is on global level. With the latter you can trigger on issues in multiple projects and don't need to recreate/copy the rule to a new project. 

Bare in mind that on Cloud you have a limit amount of global rule triggers (which will run out fast) on free and standard plans. But project rules are unlimited.

For these global rules, Atlassian handles the following limits per plan:

• Free: 100 Execution limit/per product per month
  • Standard: 500 Execution limit/per product per month
  • Premium: 1000 Executions per licensed user/per month (combined for all products)

Suggest an answer