Changing the start date or release date of a version does not work

Carl Roth July 6, 2017

Editing the start date or release date of a version does not work. The date goes to another date instead of the date I tried to set. I tried setting the date from the Version page using the Edit command and also on the Version view of the issues list using the Pencil command.

I am only trying to change the dates from 7/6/2017 and 7/17/2017 to 7/7/2017 and 7/18/207. Basically, just shifting the dates by 1 day.

I also tried deleting the dates and adding them back in, but they still don't want to accept the dates I entered.

5 answers

1 vote
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 24, 2017

It sounds like people are running into this issue with being in a different time zone from the server:

Releasing a version shows the Release Date one day behind the date originally set

0 votes
Josh Oates February 22, 2021

This is an old post but we are encountering this issue even now in February of 2021. I have to set the date to the day before what I actually want it to be in order for the right date to appear. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 22, 2021

cloud or server? I just tested in cloud and it works for me. Can you elaborate more on what the scenario is, what you are attempting and what you are seeing?

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 24, 2017

Server or Cloud. Seems to work ok in cloud.

Carl Roth July 24, 2017

Cloud

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 24, 2017

working fine for me on my instance. could be a different version.  If it persists I suggest reaching out to Atlassian Support.

PhillipS July 29, 2017

My problem is on server v7.1.7

0 votes
PhillipS July 24, 2017

I am experiencing this issue as well.  Here's some more information:

• When setting a versions release date from the project admin view of releases everything works correctly.
    • Go look at a scrum board's backlog view's version tab.  You'll notice that the release date is 1 day before what was set in the project admin manage versions page
  • When setting a version release date from the Scrum board's backlog view's version tab, it sets, but when you reload the page it will set it back by 1 day
    • If you go look at the project admin's management versions screen, the date is still set to what you originally set it to
  • In both cases, Portfolio also pulls the date-1 date

I don't know how to fix this either, seems like a jira bug.

0 votes
Gregory Cline July 12, 2017

I am having the exact same issue in JIRA Service Desk (Server). It moves the date back by one day whenever I set the Start Date or Release Date for a version. 

Can anyone look at this?

Gregory Cline January 3, 2018

Just for clarity, this was happening on our Server instance in 3.4.0, but now we're on 3.8.1 and the same thing happens. We're in the same timezone as our host server, and even if not, that might explain a 1 hour difference, not a 1 day difference.

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 3, 2018

Hi @Gregory Cline,

From looking over this, it just feels like this is being caused by the documented bug that Ann mentioned in

Releasing a version shows the Release Date one day behind the date originally set

What I believe is happening is that Jira is actually displaying a date such as 7/17/2017, but on the backend, it's actually storing this date/time in a format such as MM/DD/YYYY mm:hh in the database.  As such, Jira is likely choose a time such as a midnight so that the time is stored to the server as 7/17/2017 00:00.   If your profile is even one timezone behind the application/server then Jira could be adjusting the time to cause your display to be 7/16/2017 23:00 to your timezone.  It's the same time, just a different reference point based on a difference of timezone between the Jira application itself, and the user profile viewing that release date.    So this can explain why the date appears exactly one day behind what you actually input. 

By default, Jira is using the timezone of the operating system is it running on.  However this can be changed to an explicit timezone that is different than the OS timezone as mentioned in Setting the timezone for the Java environment

So if your Jira startup options have this parameter defined, then Jira itself is using a different time zone than the server it is running on.

It would probably also help to compare that against the timezone set in your user profile. 

Suggest an answer