Changing the Orientation of Swimlanes and Columns

Apurv Mittal March 25, 2014

In my Jira's Kanban board, I want to change the configuration of how the board looks. I want that there should be a separate column for each project, and that the swim-lanes map the statuses and the work flow. In essence, I want the columns to become the swim lanes, and the swim lanes to become the columns. I feel that this will help me at a glance see the issues I have in all the projects, instead of having to scroll up and down. Plus, then I could have the blocker issues of each project at the top, so at a glance, I would know which are the most important issues that I should be working on with respect to each project I have. Right now, I am missing working sometimes on the projects that lie at the bottom most pile of all the projects (with their respective tasks) that have been assigned to me.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2014

That would be a complete rewrite of the Board, and would absolutely stop it from being "Kanban". The whole point of Agile boards is that things flow through the status from one side of the process to another. Rotating it won't make a lot of sense, and most importantly, you'll simply get the same problem as things move "down through the process" - things part-way through will drift off the bottom.

I can see this has uses, but it is a LOT of code to write, as there's simply nothing there to do it. I would raise this as a feature request

In fact, imagining it, I wouldn't write it up as a "new board", I'd actually describe it as a "rotateted view" - maybe with a click of a toggle like quick-filters, the board would be rotated by πr , and the display of the cards and rows and columns flipped to match

Suggest an answer