Changing issue type sometimes causing move issue workflow

Michael UGC Williams May 4, 2023

Using Jira cloud with a Software Project. The project was created and then we added the New Feature issue type, which was not part of the original project. Now when we try to convert some issues to New Feature issue type, they take us through the Move Issue workflow:

For example changing from Story type to New Feature type:Screen Shot 2023-05-04 at 1.03.28 PM.png

It takes us to Move Issue, and it also gets the issue type incorrect, moving from Story type to Story type again, not New Feature type:

Screen Shot 2023-05-04 at 1.03.42 PM.png

1 answer

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2023

This is expected behavior if the issue type you are moving from and the issue type you are moving to are not using the same workflow. In that case you have to move it since Jira will need more information before it can change the issue type.

Michael UGC Williams May 4, 2023

As far as I know they two issues types have the same workflow. How can I tell ?

Also, why is it moving the issue type to the same type instead of to the new type?

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 5, 2023

If you go to Project settings > Workflows you can see the workflows that each issue type is using.

The issue type shown in the move screen is based on the current issue type, it does that because Jira doesn't know if you are moving to the same issue type in a different project or you are changing the issue type within the same project.

Soumya Murthy September 20, 2023

What would it be for Team managed project? When I check the workflow assignment for the issue types, it is the same workflow. Still I am facing the issue? Any help, would be greatly appreciated.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events