Changing JRE_HOME in setenv.sh cause my jira on-prem to not start

Jy May 29, 2021

I followed this 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/change-the-java-version-used-by-jira-server-765594330.html

I changed JRE_HOME to /usr/bin/java

This is because I want to use the java I instlalled on my RHEL server to use OpenJDK 11

This is the error I got:

29-May-2021 11:37:29.086 WARNING [localhost-startStop-2] org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.clearReferencesThreads The web application [ROOT] appears to have started a thread named [plugin-transaction-0] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak. Stack trace of thread:
sun.misc.Unsafe.park(Native Method)
java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport.parkNanos(LockSupport.java:215)
java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer$ConditionObject.awaitNanos(AbstractQueuedSynchronizer.java:2078)
java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$DelayedWorkQueue.take(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:1093)
/opt/atlassian/jira/bin/catalina.sh: line 516: /usr/bin/java/bin/java: Not a directory
/opt/atlassian/jira/bin/catalina.sh: line 516: /usr/bin/java/bin/java: Not a directory
/opt/atlassian/jira/bin/catalina.sh: line 516: /usr/bin/bin/java: No such file or directory

I am using the latest jira software 8.17

As seen here https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Agile-articles/Java-11-OpenJDK-support-update-for-Server-and-Data-Center/ba-p/967836#M392

it says openJDK 11 is supported.

1 answer

0 votes
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 30, 2021

Hi @Jy , 

Probably something is wrong with the path definition, not with Java itself.. Is this path correct? 

/usr/bin/java/bin/java

I think something is wrong with that.. 

Maybe you can start by looking into /opt/atlassian/jira/bin/catalina.sh on line 516

Jy May 31, 2021

yes I have tried a lot of different variations by changing the JRE_HOME

and I have looked in catalina.sh

its a bunch of variables I cant make sense of.

It seems that Jira only can work with the inbuilt installer JRE.

I used the jira bin installer to install it

Suggest an answer