Changing Embedded URL

Joshua Dumas May 18, 2023

We had a vendor that used their own google drive and we need to change all the links that might be embedded in all issues.

I thought the best way to go about this is to extract all issues, locate all of them and put together a crosswalk of old URL to new URL, but wanted to get your take on any other ways

Thoughts?

1 answer

0 votes
Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 26, 2023

Hi @Joshua Dumas, this sounds like it might be a use case that JXL for Jira or some similar app could help with. @Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira, can you offer any suggestions? Thanks!

Joshua Dumas May 26, 2023

how would your tool assist me with this?

Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 26, 2023

Hi Joshua, sorry, not my app, I was thinking that if JXL implements a "global search and replace" function analogous to Excel, this would do what you need. It's not clear to me from the documentation that this exists. I'm hoping that someone like Hannes from the tool supplier could give you some specifics.
HTH,
Kel

Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 26, 2023

Hi @Joshua Dumas and @Kelly Arrey,

JXL might indeed be a good fit, as it should make it very easy to a.) extract, and b.) bulk update your issue data.

For some context, JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing, inline-editing, sorting, and filtering by all your issue fields, much like you’d do in e.g. Excel or Google Sheets. It also allows bulk editing your issue fields via copy/paste; this works within JXL, but also across JXL and pretty much any other software, like for example Excel.

What you should be able to do now is copy/paste the relevant issue fields to some external tool (Excel should work great), perform some kind kind of processing there (perhaps it could be as easy as search and replace?), and then paste the updated values back to JXL. This is how the second part would look in action:

paste-from-excel.gif

This should work for pretty much any issue field. The only thing to be cautious about is rich text, like e.g. an issue summary with rich formatting, images, etc; since JXL implicitly concerts Atlassian's own format (Atlassian Document Format, ADF) into plain text, you might lose some information. @Joshua Dumas, where would these Google Dive links typically be? Are they embedded somewhere in e.g. issue summaries, or are they, by any chance, stored in dedicated (custom) fields?

Best,

Hannes

Like Kelly Arrey likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders