Changed the name of an epic, but can't change the label

David Pressley September 18, 2018

I added stories and tasks and linked them to an epic. Then I realized I needed to change the title of the epic. That was easy. However, it isn't painfully obvious how I change the epic label/tag to reflect a more appropriate epic title. Kanban board.

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ryan Fish
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 18, 2018

@David Pressley

Select the epic issue

Select edit

Select epic (feature) name field

Submit

David Pressley September 18, 2018

At first, I didn't see the ability to 'edit', nor do I see the 'epic name field'. Then I realized I was on some 'new' look page. Switching to the 'old view' showed the steps you provided, and I was able to update the field. The new view page didn't have that functionality, or if it did, it was buried in some other settings menu.

Long time listener, first time caller, so thanks for your time.

Like # people like this
Garry Morris April 22, 2020

Thanks Ryan. Why were so many of these needed and useful fields removed from the "new look"?  It seems like the new look has made my life a lot harder administering JIRA than it used to be.  Yes, the old view had "extra" fields, but this answer (which I had to use myself to update the label of an epic title that my boss had changed) illustrates how much functionality was lost when the new look was enacted.  Things I used to do with one click for Edit (commenting, fix versions, etc) are now hidden behind multiple clicks.

Like # people like this
Madalina Marincas May 14, 2021

The suggested fix is no longer applicable, as there is no way of getting back to the old Jira view. 

Like # people like this
Walter Eckhardt June 23, 2021

@Madalina Marincas  It is still there. If you click on the button with the 3 dots at the top right of the page there is an option at the bottom to switch to the Old View, and then change the Epic Name from there

bharris November 22, 2021

And in Nov, I think the Old View is now fully gone meaning this workaround is dead. Please allow me to change the label, basic stuff here.

aaron December 14, 2021

I'm also not seeing any way to change the label name. When will this be fixed?

Like Christian Haenlein likes this
Alexandre Santos February 2, 2022

Having the same issue, could you please help?

Like Christian Haenlein likes this
5 votes
Francisco Alcaraz January 11, 2022

after Nov 2021 this is no longer a valid workaround,
this is a big issue and needs to be resolved asap

Christian Haenlein April 22, 2022

In current versions, I still/ again have the "old view" option. 

But my workaround looks slightly different: 

1. Open all issues
  2. Filter for epics
  3. Open epic
  4. This epic "card view" shows under "details" the "epic name", which is used for the epic label on other issues. 

However and to Atlassians, why would anybody like to differ between an epic name and an epic "summary"?

Like Michael Chang likes this
3 votes
MatthewHolland April 10, 2022

Please get this sorted, having to go searching for a field for such a basic requirement is unacceptable.

1 vote
rauschen February 23, 2022

click the 3 dots and use "Find your field" search for "Epic name" than it shows what you need to do to enable it.

0 votes
Brett Nieland August 29, 2023

On the epic's issue page

1. Click "Edit"

2. Click "configure" button (upper right)

3. Check 'Epic Name'

You will now be able to use this field to edit the label for the epic.

Suggest an answer