Change the name of bug issue type

Deniz Yalçıntepe May 12, 2023

Hi community,

I want to edit the name of "Bug" issue type. Do I have any problem if I change it?

Does it affect to boards, filters, dashboards or post functions in workflows?

I would like to read your experiences.

Bests,

Deniz.

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Marco Brundel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2023

Hi @Deniz Yalçıntepe ,

Changing the name of the "Bug" issue type in Jira Software Cloud should generally not cause any problems, but it may have some implications on boards, filters, dashboards, and post functions in workflows. Here are some considerations based on typical experiences:

1. Boards: If you have existing boards that are specifically configured to display or filter "Bug" issues, you may need to update those board configurations to reflect the new name. This includes board filters, swimlanes, quick filters, and any board settings related to the "Bug" issue type.

2. Filters: If you have saved filters that include references to the "Bug" issue type in JQL queries, you will need to update those filters to reflect the new name. Otherwise, the filters may not return the desired results.

3. Dashboards: If you have created dashboards with gadgets that are configured to display "Bug" issues, you will need to update the gadget configurations to use the new issue type name. Otherwise, the gadgets may not display the correct information.

4. Workflows: If you have workflows that include post functions specifically designed for the "Bug" issue type, such as assigning to a specific user or updating specific fields, those post functions may need to be modified to work with the new issue type name. Additionally, any conditions or validators that reference the "Bug" issue type may also need to be updated.

It's worth noting that the impact of changing the issue type name may vary depending on your specific Jira configuration and any customizations you have made. It's always a good practice to test the changes in a staging or test environment before applying them in a production environment.

Remember to communicate any changes to your team members or Jira users so they are aware of the updated issue type name and any associated changes.

Regards, Marco

Deniz Yalçıntepe May 12, 2023

Hi @Marco Brundel ,

Thank you for detailed info. It's very helpful. Note taken!

Bests,

Deniz.

Like Marco Brundel likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events