Change board from SCRUM to KANBAN

Philip Kroep April 12, 2021

Hi Experts,

I would like to change my current next-gen projectboard from SCRUM to KANBAN, because we don't like working in sprints and the overview from KANBAN suits us better. Is there an opportunity to do this within the free plan without having to make a new project? 

Please let me know!

Phil

4 answers

1 accepted

14 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2021

Hi @Philip Kroep,

Navigate to project settings > features and disable sprints. You will automatically end up with a kanban board. You can even decide if you want to keep it with our without backlog by enabling/disabling the backlog option.

Hope this helps! 

Philip Kroep April 12, 2021

Thank you! This 100% solved my problem. Do you perhaps also know why my main admin account is not receiving e-mails within customer's projects (I made) if they for example make a to do/issue for me? I'll have to find new things posted out via the dashboard (activity log) now.. 

Kind Regards,

Phil

Like # people like this
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2021

You're welcome, @Philip Kroep.

That is a totally different question, obviously. So in the future it might be a good idea to create a new question in Community.

This support article explains how notifications are set up in next gen projects. As a starting point, have a look if your admin account is assigned to the appropriate roles in order to be notified.

Like Randy O_Neal likes this
shawn August 12, 2021

I am under Project Settings -> Features
I don't see anything about enabling or disabling sprints

I see topics like Planning, Development, operations and non have sprint on it

Ricardo_Sa August 31, 2021

I am under Project Settings -> Features. I don't have the option disabling Sprints.

@Walter Buggenhout , Could you help me?

Like # people like this
Kenny Lai September 7, 2021

@Walter Buggenhout _ACA IT_ I am not seeing any options to disable sprints. 

Like Daphne Cox likes this
Kenny Lai September 7, 2021

for anyone landing on this, ended up just creating a new board with kanban settings and importing the stories over to it.

michal_holic December 7, 2021

It's because your projects are "Company managed". The setting is there if your project is "Team managed". Not sure why thought.

Like # people like this
Chiranth September 30, 2022

So if someone is using a Company Managed project, what should they do?

Like # people like this
Vibhav Agrawal November 1, 2022

@Chiranth Not sure if you got answer to this; but you can create a new board.

On the left tree of "Company Managed", if you click on "Board", it should give you option to "Create Board" and then you can configure it with whatever you need.

Like Randy O_Neal likes this
robertcruz November 22, 2022

My team wants to move from SCRUM to KANBAN. We are on a company-managed project, and we created our KANBAN boards. 

The problem we have is that stories can not be transitioned to different statuses because it says the story/ticket is not assigned to a sprint.

Suggestions on how to resolve?

Like Jason Pendrey likes this
3 votes
Mark Macayan July 13, 2023

Adding an update to my prior question in hopes that it will help someone else in my situation.  After corresponding with Jira Support, I confirmed that switching off the team lead Sprint option in the Features section of the Project Settings.  I was able to convert my SCRUM board to a Kanban board without issue.  The only thing that changed was the title of the board from 'Sprint 1' to 'board' but you can easily edit the name of the board. 

0 votes
Gena Welk July 10, 2023

So to clarify - You cannot change from SCRUM to Kanban in a company-managed project?  You must create a whole new project?

(I really wanted to continue using the project key that I had....)

Randy O_Neal
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 11, 2023

Given we recently changed from Scrum to Kanban... I can tell you this is not necessary; all you need to do is create a new board and adjust your filters accordingly.  We've been operating this way using the SAME project since January this year.  We are a Company-managed project.  I may be missing something in the conversation, but I can tell you we've converted multiple projects from Scrum to Kanban with only the addition of Kanban boards plus a couple minor tweaks to our board filters.

I'll review this entire thread to ensure I'm not missing something... but I don't believe I am.

Like Gena Welk likes this
0 votes
Mark Macayan July 10, 2023

Follow up question - My company just started using Jira and started a SCRUM sprint but realize we would be better served with Kanban instead.  If I disable the 'Sprint' option in project settings of my active sprint, will it convert it to Kanban and all our refined stories would retain their current status or would I need to reset all the statuses and will I loose story history?  

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events