Carry over story with uncompleted subtasks to next sprint

test April 3, 2019

I have Sprint 1 with 1 Story and 5 Sub-tasks. 3 of those sub-tasks are completed.

Now, my sprint finishes, so when I close it I choose to move uncompleted issues to Sprint 2.

The thing is, my story and 2 uncompleted subtasks got assigned a second sprint, but what I don't understand is - my 3 completed sub-tasks also got moved to that next sprint.

How do I handle this case, not to assign Sprint 2 to sub-tasks that have been completed in Sprint 1. As it is for now, for completed issues in Sprint 1 having uncompleted parent, I still see that they are in both sprints which isn't true.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 3, 2019

Ideally, a story should be fully completed in a sprint. If not, it just moves to the next sprint, irrespective of how much of the story got completed by then.

If you want to get credit for the work that is already done in the sprint, an option is to split the story and move the uncompleted subtasks to the new story and push it to the next sprint. It is a scope change in essence but you did commit to the story as a whole when the sprint started and hence you are answerable for the scope change!

In short, subtasks belongs to the story and are not counted against the sprint. Stories belongs to sprints and they are either completed or not completed.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 3, 2019

Ideally, a story should be fully completed in a sprint. If not, it just moves to the next sprint, irrespective of how much of the story got completed by then.

If you want to get credit for the work that is already done in the sprint, an option is to split the story and move the uncompleted subtasks to the new story and push it to the next sprint. It is a scope change in essence but you did commit to the story as a whole when the sprint started and hence you are answerable for the scope change!

In short, subtasks belongs to the story and are not counted against the sprint. Stories belongs to sprints and they are either completed or not completed.

Michele Mast August 19, 2020

What is the easiest way to move subtasks between stories/tasks?

Suggest an answer