Capacity planning for single users in Advanced Roadmaps

Benedikt Roth May 19, 2022

Hey everyone,

I´ve already asked this question once but unfortunately didn´t receive an answer. Maybe I´ll have more luck this time :)

Advanced Roadmaps in JIRA offers the great feature to display the capacity of the selected team.

I find this to be very helpful, yet it would be awesome to have a tool to look at the load factor of every single user.

Is this possible in JIRA Advanced Roadmaps?

Thank you all in advance.

Cheers Benedikt

3 answers

3 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Robert Horan
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
May 19, 2022

@Benedikt Roth  - having recently spent a large chunk of time in the last couple of months trying to find a way to do something similar, it was concluded that it was simply not possible. 

In this case, I was trying to find a way of knowing if team members had the capacity to work on other things.

Unless I made teams of one person each it just didn't work.  Teams of one would be a nightmare to manage.

BigPicture could get you what you need - it really is a great tool - but depending on what you need you may also find it to be too much - no only in terms of functionality and the learning curve (which is somewhat steep) but also price.

It's important to note that you need to separately purchase BigTemplate to get a lot of the functionality you might think would be included by default, such as importing from or exporting to standard file formats.

This looked pretty interesting as an alternative:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1220860

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2022

My take on this is, is that it's simply too complicated to perform individual resource planning as it changes very often and because you may not have all the details when performing the WBS of a project. There are so many other criteria to consider: different work schedules, days off, multi-project management, planned vs. unplanned work, etc.

Deleted user May 19, 2022

I confirm what it says @Robert Horan but instead consider BigPicture 
see here for example: https://bigpicture.one/jira-resource-capacity-planning/ 

Like Anna-BigPicture likes this
3 votes
Answer accepted
Nataliya Vasyliv_Reliex_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 19, 2022

@Robert Horan 

Thank you that recommending our plugin.

@Benedikt Roth 

There was mentioned above that Atlassian doesn't support capacity planning at the individual resource level. 

If you consider using a plugin I would suggest ActivityTimeline. ActivityTimeline provides resource planning and availability on a timeline view. You can track tasks progress, workload, and availability for each employee taking into consideration the part-time, full-time, or even different work schemes for users, and holidays. Workload or availability could be calculated for individuals or teams on the same view.

There is an ability to plan your work with bookings and placeholders.

The additional modules provide numerous reports including timesheets reports. 

ActivityTimeline.png

If you have any additional requirements please feel free to ask me. We can provide a demo session for you if needed.
Best, Nataliya, ActivityTimeline Team

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2022

Hi @Benedikt Roth , welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Individual capacity planning is not possible in Advanced Roadmaps, only team capacity planning based planning.

Benedikt Roth May 19, 2022

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events