Cant add new user to classic projects but can on next gen (free package)

Deleted user January 3, 2021

Hi there, I have added a new user. I can add him to next gen projects but cant on classic. I have tried adding him to groups for the projects which didnt work. If I try searching for him under a classic project it says he cant be found. The add button is greyed out on classic projects and I get this when I hover over the button - On a free plan, you can only add people using your site's administration settings. Upgrade your plan to better control who can access this project. However on next gen projects I can add no problem. 

2 answers

1 vote
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 4, 2021

Hello @[deleted],

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

In Cloud Free plan, anyone with a Jira Software license will be an administrator for all Software and Core projects. This is because on the Free plan it's not possible to manage project permissions.

On a Next-gen project, you can add people, but it doesn't make any difference because anyone will be able to manage the project despite if you add them to the project or not.

To allow someone to work on a project, you just need to add them to jira-software-users group on User management.

For more details, please check the documentation below:

Project permissions, roles, and issue-level security aren't customizable in Jira Core and Software Free. If your site has always been on a Free plan, everyone with access to Jira Software is an admin for all Jira Software projects, and the same goes for Jira Core.

If you have any other questions regarding this matter, please let us know.

Regards,
Angélica

0 votes
Guilhem Dupuy
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2021

Hello @[deleted]

This is normal, the Next-Gen projets accesses are dealt with in a different way than the classic ones.

I'm not exactly sure of how it works with the free plan, maybe it means you can only add groups to projects and not individual users.

Let me know if it helps,

Guilhem

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events