• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Cant add new user to classic projects but can on next gen (free package)

Hi there, I have added a new user. I can add him to next gen projects but cant on classic. I have tried adding him to groups for the projects which didnt work. If I try searching for him under a classic project it says he cant be found. The add button is greyed out on classic projects and I get this when I hover over the button - On a free plan, you can only add people using your site's administration settings. Upgrade your plan to better control who can access this project. However on next gen projects I can add no problem. 

2 answers

Hello @Catherine,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

In Cloud Free plan, anyone with a Jira Software license will be an administrator for all Software and Core projects. This is because on the Free plan it's not possible to manage project permissions.

On a Next-gen project, you can add people, but it doesn't make any difference because anyone will be able to manage the project despite if you add them to the project or not.

To allow someone to work on a project, you just need to add them to jira-software-users group on User management.

For more details, please check the documentation below:

Project permissions, roles, and issue-level security aren't customizable in Jira Core and Software Free. If your site has always been on a Free plan, everyone with access to Jira Software is an admin for all Jira Software projects, and the same goes for Jira Core.

If you have any other questions regarding this matter, please let us know.

Regards,
Angélica

0 votes

Hello @Catherine

This is normal, the Next-Gen projets accesses are dealt with in a different way than the classic ones.

I'm not exactly sure of how it works with the free plan, maybe it means you can only add groups to projects and not individual users.

Let me know if it helps,

Guilhem

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Jira Software

Presenting the "Best of 2020" Jira Software roundup!

Catch up with Atlassian Product Managers in our 2020 Demo Den round-up! From Advanced Roadmaps to Code in Jira to Next-Gen Workflows, check out the videos below to help up-level your work in the new ...

7,105 views 8 28
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you