Cannot start Jira on my Raspberry Pi 4

Tom Leysen September 11, 2022

Hi guys,

I come here to get help with the installation of Jira Software on my Pi 4. I tried to install many versions of Jira and none of them works.

SWAP file configuration:

Change /etc/dphys-swapfile and setup CONF_SWAPSIZE=2048.

Versions

PostgreSQL: 11.16 (Raspbian 11.16-0+deb10u1) also tried with connectors (postgresql-42.2.6.jar and postgresql-42.5.0.jar)

MySQL: Ver 15.1 Distrib 10.3.34-MariaDB, for debian-linux-gnueabihf (armv8l) using readline 5.2 also tried with connectors (mysql-connector-java-5.1.49.tar.gz and mysql-connector-java-8.0.30.jar)

OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 11.0.16+8-post-Raspbian-1deb10u1)
OpenJDK Server VM (build 11.0.16+8-post-Raspbian-1deb10u1, mixed mode)

JVM Configuration:

Min JVM: 1024m, Max JVM: 2048m

JVM_MINIMUM_MEMORY="1024m"

JVM_MAXIMUM_MEMORY="2048m"

JVM_GC_ARGS="XX:+UseG1GC -XX:+ExplicitGCInvokesConcurrent"

JVM_REQUIRED_ARGS='-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true ..."

Tried version: Atlassian Jira Software 9.2.0, 8.20.12 and 8.5.0.

Available memory: 2700m (when I run the server)

Failed with 9.2.0 and 8.20.12 and 8.5.0 and PostgreSQL at the first step (initialization of the DB), seems that nothing works.

Failed with 8.20.12 and 8.5.0 and MySQL at the step of the creation of the admin account. Have not tried 9.2.0.

I really need your help as I am struggling with this installation for 4 days now. This gonna make me crazy.

Creation of MySQL DB:

CREATE USER 'jira'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'jirapassword';

CREATE DATABASE jiradb CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin;

GRANT SELECT,INSERT,UPDATE,DELETE,CREATE,DROP,ALTER,REFERENCES,INDEX on jiradb.* TO 'jira'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'jirapassword';

flush privileges;

Creation of PostgreSQL DB:

CREATE USER jira WITH PASSWORD 'jirapassword';

CREATE DATABASE jiradb WITH ENCODING 'UNICODE' LC_COLLATE 'C' LC_CTYPE 'C' TEMPLATE template0;

GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON DATABASE jiradb TO jira;

Log 8.20.12:

2022-09-11 16:23:00,794+0200 pool-31-thread-1 ERROR anonymous 978x210x1 l8i99a 192.168.5.99 /secure/SetupDatabase.jspa [c.a.j.cache.request.RequestCacheRecorderImpl] Invalid use of RequestCache$
java.lang.Throwable
at com.atlassian.jira.cache.request.RequestCacheRecorderImpl.errorLogOOCThreadUsage(RequestCacheRecorderImpl.java:32)
at com.atlassian.jira.cache.request.RequestCacheRecorderImpl.recordRequestCacheOOCUsage(RequestCacheRecorderImpl.java:25)
at com.atlassian.jira.cache.request.RequestCacheImpl.get(RequestCacheImpl.java:47)
at com.atlassian.jira.config.feature.DefaultFeatureManager.isFlagEnabledByExternalActivator(DefaultFeatureManager.java:317)
at com.atlassian.jira.config.feature.DefaultFeatureManager.isEnabled(DefaultFeatureManager.java:109)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:566)
at com.atlassian.plugin.util.ContextClassLoaderSettingInvocationHandler.invoke(ContextClassLoaderSettingInvocationHandler.java:26)
at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy71.isEnabled(Unknown Source)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:566)
at org.springframework.aop.support.AopUtils.invokeJoinpointUsingReflection(AopUtils.java:344)
at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.importer.support.internal.aop.ServiceInvoker.doInvoke(ServiceInvoker.java:56)
at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.importer.support.internal.aop.ServiceInvoker.invoke(ServiceInvoker.java:60)
at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:186)
at org.springframework.aop.support.DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.doProceed(DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.java:137)
at org.springframework.aop.support.DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.invoke(DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.java:124)
at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:186)
at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.util.internal.aop.ServiceTCCLInterceptor.invokeUnprivileged(ServiceTCCLInterceptor.java:70)
at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.util.internal.aop.ServiceTCCLInterceptor.invoke(ServiceTCCLInterceptor.java:53)
at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.service.importer.support.LocalBundleContextAdvice.invoke(LocalBundleContextAdvice.java:57)

Any help or documentation would really appreciated. Hope a really good spirit could help on that :-).

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 11, 2022

What JVM are you using?  (Oracle, Adopt OpenJDK, etc)

Tom Leysen September 12, 2022

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

Thanks for your reaction.

Here is the version information:

OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 11.0.16+8-post-Raspbian-1deb10u1)
OpenJDK Server VM (build 11.0.16+8-post-Raspbian-1deb10u1, mixed mode)

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- ,

Have updated the question with more information regarding configuration. If this can help...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 13, 2022

Ok, thanks.  That rules out the usual culprit of the error you have pasted, but there are other reasons you'll see that message.

Problem though - it's probably not that error that is killing your start process.  I suspect you will find a whole pile of other errors, one of which is preventing the startup.

Are there other errors in Catalina.out and atlassian-jira.log?

Tom Leysen September 16, 2022

Thank for you your reply. Sorry for the late answer. I will provide you logs.

0 votes
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 11, 2022

Hi @Tom Leysen and welcome to the community,

I'm not familiar with your situation but this thread might help you https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Install-JIRA-on-Raspberry-Pi-Java-Error/qaq-p/149458

Hi @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ 

Thank you so much :-). I will have a look at it.

Hi @Alex Koxaras _Relational_

Seems not to help in my case.

Suggest an answer