Cannot finish Setup Wizard after db reset (h2 to postgres)

Naliwe April 22, 2018

Right after the startup, when I try to enter my license, I receive a unknown error, with this stack trace:

com.atlassian.cache.CacheException: java.lang.NullPointerException
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.atlassian.jira.crowd.embedded.ofbiz.OfBizApplication.<init>(OfBizApplication.java:39) [classes/:?]
at com.atlassian.jira.crowd.embedded.ofbiz.OfBizApplication.from(OfBizApplication.java:53) [classes/:?]
at com.atlassian.jira.crowd.embedded.ofbiz.OfBizApplicationDao.buildApplication(OfBizApplicationDao.java:66) [classes/:?]
at com.atlassian.jira.crowd.embedded.ofbiz.OfBizApplicationDao.getAllApplications(OfBizApplicationDao.java:206) [classes/:?]
at com.atlassian.jira.crowd.embedded.ofbiz.OfBizApplicationDao.access$000(OfBizApplicationDao.java:40) [classes/:?]
at com.atlassian.jira.crowd.embedded.ofbiz.OfBizApplicationDao$1.get(OfBizApplicationDao.java:59) [classes/:?]
at com.atlassian.jira.crowd.embedded.ofbiz.OfBizApplicationDao$1.get(OfBizApplicationDao.java:55) [classes/:?]
at com.atlassian.cache.memory.MemoryCacheManager$1$1.load(MemoryCacheManager.java:129) [atlassian-cache-memory-2.13.7.jar:?]
at com.atlassian.cache.memory.MemoryCacheManager$1$1.load(MemoryCacheManager.java:105) [atlassian-cache-memory-2.13.7.jar:?]
at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache$LoadingValueReference.loadFuture(LocalCache.java:3527) [closure-compiler-v20151216.jar:?]
at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache$Segment.loadSync(LocalCache.java:2319) [closure-compiler-v20151216.jar:?]
at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache$Segment.lockedGetOrLoad(LocalCache.java:2282) [closure-compiler-v20151216.jar:?]
at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache$Segment.get(LocalCache.java:2197) [closure-compiler-v20151216.jar:?]
at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache.get(LocalCache.java:3937) [closure-compiler-v20151216.jar:?]
at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache.getOrLoad(LocalCache.java:3941) [closure-compiler-v20151216.jar:?]
at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache$LocalLoadingCache.get(LocalCache.java:4824) [closure-compiler-v20151216.jar:?]
at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache$LocalLoadingCache.getUnchecked(LocalCache.java:4830) [closure-compiler-v20151216.jar:?]
at com.atlassian.cache.memory.DelegatingCachedReference.getUnderLock(DelegatingCachedReference.java:101) [atlassian-cache-memory-2.13.7.jar:?]
at com.atlassian.cache.memory.DelegatingCachedReference.get(DelegatingCachedReference.java:86) [atlassian-cache-memory-2.13.7.jar:?]
... 257 more

I am not quite sure what I am doing wrong, it worked right before. 

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 23, 2018

Could you share with us some more details about your $JIRAHOME/dbconfig.xml ?

This is the file that controls what database settings Jira will use when it starts up.  Since it sounds like you are looking to migrate from the H2 database to a postgresql database, there would need to be changes made to this file.   You don't need to share your username/password from that file, but I would be interested to see the rest of it.

It's a fairly common oversight when making a database migration like this, that there might be one or more left over tags in the dbconfig.xml file that actually are not meant to be used with a postgres database type.   I would recommend making sure that your dbconfig.xml appears to use the same parameters as listed in the sample config at the bottom of Connecting Jira to Postgresql.

If you have to make any changes to this dbconfig file, you would need to save these and restart Jira before these changes take effect.   If this doesn't help, then the next steps would be to take a closer look at the $JIRAHOME/log/atlassian-jira.log file when Jira starts up to better understand if there are any other errors generated in that log during this startup that might be a factor here. 

Suggest an answer