Cannot edit fields by bulk

Margo September 26, 2022

Hi All,

I try to edit some issues by bulk. Issues are from one project and issue type (so the same workflow) in different statuses. Bulk for status X works fine, but for Y, Z etc doesn't. 'Edit' option is available to me, but after all I can edit only some basic fields and most of them are under 'Unavailable actions'.

I cannot find any workflow property which causes this behaviour. Any idea what else can block editing certain system/custom fields by bulk?

unavailable-actions.PNG

2 answers

0 votes
davesoft11 August 1, 2023

@Margo and team,

I have a couple jira which have a label I want to change and I get the same:

"NOTE: You do not have the required permissions in ALL projects of the selected issues to edit this field"

error when I try to do it bulk. When I try to edit those jira individually, none of the permission-blocked fields are even presented.

Because you mentioned:

"jira.permission.edit.group"

I inspected the workflow to which these jira belong, and none of the transitions have any "properties" assigned at all. 

Also, even when I am logged in as the Jira Administrator, I don't have the option to edit the labels on these (closed) jira.

Where else should I be looking to figure out how to change the labels on these jira?

Thanks!

Margo August 2, 2023

Hi @davesoft11 

Have you checked permission schemes within these projects? You can be a Jira admin yet have no edit permission in a specific project/permission scheme.

KR, 

Margo

Like davesoft11 likes this
davesoft11 August 7, 2023

@Margo 

@Margo I checked the permission scheme and it says all logged in users have edit permissions.

I then checked the permissions helper and it says my user "has the 'Edit Issues' permission"

It may help to note that even if I go individually to this jira, I cannot edit anything. Inspecting the workflow and the transition to CLOSED, I see 4 properties, including:

jira.permission.edit.user: denied

So I think whomever created this workflow designed it this way (it predated me).  

So how do I modify the permissions on an individual jira?

davesoft11 August 7, 2023

@Margo here's how I worked around not knowing how to change perms on an individual jira. 

1. note that the workflow has the property to deny the permission when transitioning to CLOSED

2. note also that the workflow has a REOPEN transition which undoes that permission

3. REOPEN the jira, make necessary edits, then transition back to CLOSED

4. for jira that have a workflow that does not support REOPEN, use the "Move" feature to change their Issue Type to that used in (2). Then proceed with step 3. Then "Move" the jira back to its original Issue Type.

Pain in the butt, but it worked for the two jira I needed.

Margo August 9, 2023

So properties again. It's often tricky 🤣

Like davesoft11 likes this
0 votes
Rilwan Ahmed
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 26, 2022

Hi @Margo ,

Can you please share the JQL used for Bulk Edit ? From the screenshot, I see you have different projects and different issue types selected. 

Margo September 26, 2022

Hi @Rilwan Ahmed - even if I put filter like project = XYZ and that's it, I can see the same errors:

NOTE: You do not have the required permissions in ALL projects of the selected issues to edit this field.

NOTE: You do not have the required permissions to edit this field.

Rilwan Ahmed
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 26, 2022

@Margo 

Please check if your query is also getting Closed/Resolved/Done status tickets where you cannot edit ticket. When the ticket is closed, the workflow will not allow to Edit (if property is set). And similar property can be added to any status which blocks the edit. 

I would suggest you to divide the JQL Like below so that you can easily identify which ticket is blocking the edits. 
project = XYZ and Type = Task and Status !=Closed
project = XYZ and Type = Incident and Status !=Closed etc.

Margo September 26, 2022

I check with both statuscategory !=Done and statuscategory = Done

It's the same.

Some not Done statuses from the same workflow have editable fields, some not. 

Properties on statuses are like:

jira.permission.edit.group.1 - and I'm in all groups

there is also something like

jira.permission.edit.userCF.1 - I'm not in this fields, but as far as I understand I need only one 'edit' property to be able to edit the issue.

Besides that, edit property allows me to be able to click on 'edit' issues at 'choose operation' screen. And here the issue is different, I cannot only edit some fields.

choose operation.PNG

I cannot see any restriction in field configurations or so.

Rilwan Ahmed
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 26, 2022

@Margo 
1. Have you checked if you really have the edit permission on project tickets ? 
Just take one ticket and try to edit the field manually. 

2. Try to split your JQL and retry one-by-one. This will help you to identify what type of  tickets you are not able edit. 
Example: 
project = XYZ and Type = Task and Status !=Closed
project = XYZ and Type = Incident and Status !=Closed etc.

Margo September 26, 2022

Yeah I did all of that. At the end, I was able to solve the issue - it was just a bug with properties. I removed one property by one and I found out that the one jira.permission.edit.group was causing the issue, although I was added to the group from that property (few weeks ago). Interestingly, for some statuses it worked only once I remove the property. For some it worked after I removed the property and re-added it. 

Also, I shouldn't be able to click on Edit option in Choose operation if I have no permission rights, so it's an obvious bug. Our environment is pretty complicated and has many add-ons so maybe that also interferes.

Thank you for your help @Rilwan Ahmed !

Like Rilwan Ahmed likes this

Suggest an answer