Cannot display custom field in Sub-task that uses the same screen schema & layout as a standard task

Mieke Bond November 16, 2020

The same screen theme is used for the standard issue type and the sub-type type. There is a customer field called “Sprint” in the screen theme. The problem is that I cannot see the same fields that I can see in the standard issue type, in my Sub-type type task.

1. The project is classic with 5 issue types. Sub task is a sub-task type 
  2. The Issue Type Scheme contains the same 5 issue types
  3. Sub-Tasks are currently ON
  4. The Screen Schemes has a Default issue for unmapped, a bug type and a sub-task type. I wasn’t sure if I needed the Sub Task Type. I added it to see if it resolved the problem but it didn’t assist.
  5. The project uses 2 screen configurations. The FSCP: Scrum Default Screen Scheme is used for both the standard issue type as well as the sub-task type.
  6. The Default Issue Screen Scheme & the layout includes a field for “Sprint”
  7. The field “Sprint” is included in the FSCP: Scrum Default Issue Screen
  8. The context for the Field “Sprint” is that it is available for issues of any type

What have I missed to display the custom field “Sprint” in the Sub-tasks?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mieke Bond November 17, 2020

So we are using the Jira built-in field with Locked next to the name. I have searched and there is no other fields called "Sprint".

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2020

Is this sprint field the built-in Jira Software sprint field, or is it a custom text or select you have added?

Mieke Bond November 16, 2020

I believe it is a custom field. It displays in the Custom Field Screen as an Jira Software sprint field.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 17, 2020

Sorry, I was totally unclear on this.  Jira Software comes with a Sprint field built into it.  This appears as a "custom field" but my question was if you have added your own Sprint field.  And I did not explain that there was a difference.

Could you take another look at the list of custom fields?  Do you have one or two or many fields called "sprint"?  The Jira Software built-in field will have "Locked" next to its name.  I need to check if it's that built-in one we're working with, or a standard custom field?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 17, 2020

Ok, great.  Again, I'm really sorry I was so unclear.

The Sprint field in Jira Software does not apply to sub-tasks.

The logic is good - sub-tasks are a part of their parent issue, not independent entities, and hence they are only "in a sprint" by virtue of their parent being in it.  Technically here, the sprint field is of no use as it's irrelevant to sub-tasks and even if it were there, you couldn't change it.

But I personally find the lack of display very annoying.  I understand "part of the parent", but that doesn't mean I don't think of any sub-task (along wiht all its siblings) being part of the sprint.  You can usually spot a Jira I've been an admin on because there's a scripted custom field with a name like "Sprint (all issue types)", amongst others.

Mieke Bond November 17, 2020

Thank you. That's disappointing - we use sub-tasks as the smaller task that could be achieved within a sprint. The Task is a large item that can occur across multiple sprints

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 17, 2020

Yeah, I'm afraid that's not what sub-tasks or sprints are for.

P Bob Richard May 20, 2022

Thanks, Yes as rightly mentioned by @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- the sub-tasks are child issue for a Story or a Bug hence the sprint applied to the parent issue will flow down to the sub-task.

FYI - For this reason it is bit tricky or difficult if you are migrating sub-tasks from one Jira instance to another.

Zuzanna Perkowska January 19, 2023

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- Hi Nic, 

what about field "Story Point" in sub-tasks. I've checked it dozens times but it is still not visible in sub-tasks in the same scheme as backlog items. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 19, 2023

Story points are mostly intended to be used in Scrum teams, to estimate relative complexity or effort required to deal with a story or issue.  They feed into the sprint metrics and give you the team's "velocity" as they complete stories.

Sub-tasks are fragments of their parents, not separate sprint items.  They get completed as part of their parent.  So there's no point putting estimates on them, you don't burn-down on them.  Jira simply ignores it if you put an estimate on a sub-task, it's not relevant to the sprint.

I do think we should be able to use estimates on sub-tasks, and I've created automations (well, Scriptrunner scripts) that do it.  But to make it work properly. you can't just add them all up on to a parent issue, you have to be a lot more clever and you need two separate fields to do it.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events