Cannot create issues within an Epic

Stephen Aschkenes September 28, 2021

I have two epics that I wanted to create Issues for. But whenever I clicked "Create Issue in Epic" It always opens the create new issue dialogue and when I save, it just gets added to the project and not the Epic. I can only add Subtasks to my epics but not User Stories and can't figure out why.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 28, 2021

Are you working with Epics in a Company Managed project or a Team Managed project?

- If you open the Epic to view the issue details, do you see a button at the top that says "Add a child issue"? That would be an indication the Epic is in a Team Managed project.

- Alternately, do you see a button that says "Create issue in epic"? That would be an indication that the Epic is in a Company Managed project.

Can you provide a screen image of where you are clicking "Create issue within Epic"?

If you are working with an Epic in a Company Managed project, when you get the Create New Issue dialog:

- do you get the pull-down for Issue Type?

- Do you see a field for Epic Link?

I am in a company managed project as I see the "Create Issue in Epic" button only:

Screen Shot 2021-09-28 at 12.59.11 PM.png

and Yes I see the issue type dropdown but do not see a field for Epic Link:

Screen Shot 2021-09-28 at 1.00.58 PM.png

Edit: If I click "Create" it brings me to the regular Issue creation dialogue and then it saves to the project, not the Epic.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 28, 2021

So, you click the Create Issue in Epic button and then you fill in a summary for the issue while still on the Epic details screen. After typing in the Summary do you key Enter/Return or click the Create button below the summary you entered? Do both of those actions open a Create New Issue dialog?

In that Create New Issue dialog, is the Issue Type field still set to the value you selected in the Epic details screen?

And in that dialog do you see an Epic Link field? If you see the field, is it blank or filled in with the name of the Epic to which you were trying to add the child issue?

If the Epic Link field is not present in the Create New Issue dialog, and the Issue Type in that dialog is still set to Task (or Story, whatever you selected), then a Jira Administrator needs to add the Epic Link field to the screens used for creating those types of issues in that project.

Like Özge Kavas likes this

This worked! Thank you!!

Deleted user August 19, 2022

I am also facing a similar problem in "Team Managed project". 
I also see a dropdown to select issue type. 
If I click "Create" it brings me to the regular Issue creation dialogue and then it saves to the project, not the Epic.

Please help

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 19, 2022

@[deleted] 

That is correct behavior for a Team Managed project. When creating an issue you cannot specify the parent Epic by setting a field in the Create Issue dialog.

To create an issue and add it to an Epic during creation in a Team Managed project you must create the issue from the Epic.

View the details of the Epic and click the "Add a child issue button" or click the "+" button in the Child Issues section.

Screen Shot 2022-08-19 at 7.38.50 AM.png

You can also add an issue to an Epic during creation from the Backlog screen. Select the Epic in the Epics panel and then use the Create Issue button in the Backlog list.

Screen Shot 2022-08-19 at 7.40.34 AM.png

With a Team Managed project you don't have the option to set the parent Epic in the Create Issue screen when creating the issue.

If you have already created the issue and need to add it to an Epic after creation, you can do that from the Backlog screen by dragging it from the issue list and dropping it on the Epic in the Epics panel, or from the Issue Details by clicking on the Add Epic option in the bread crumbs.

Screen Shot 2022-08-19 at 7.43.18 AM.png

Like Deleted user likes this
Deleted user September 6, 2022

Thanks @Trudy Claspill this was helpful..

Suggest an answer