Cannot create classic project, Jira gives me an error message

Mitzi Fox October 29, 2018

I've created several next-gen projects, but when I try to create a classic project I get an error message from Jira "For some reason the magic didn't happen. Click Create to try again."

I'm the site admin. And I'm on the trial version.

Thx!

9 answers

2 votes
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 2, 2018

@Mitzi Fox and @Gemma Sole, unfortunately this is a known issue that has not been corrected yet.  For more information you can review the ticket at JRACLOUD-69324.

In the meantime, Atlassian has a process to correct it on your systems. I've created a support ticket with Atlassian for you, if you don't hear from them soon you can reach out to them at https://support.atlassian.com/contact#

I hope this helps, 

-Scott

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 2, 2018

Hey all,

Just following up here - @Mitzi Fox and @Gemma Sole you'll get an email from our support system shortly confirming new support tickets for this problem. We have a fix to apply to your instances that won't take long. The support tickets emails will contain more details!

Cheers,
Daniel | Atlassian Support

0 votes
Embrenchia Snyman November 15, 2023

It is really scary when a company has the same error in their product for five years straight with no solution.

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 15, 2023

@Embrenchia Snyman I created a support case on your behalf over in https://getsupport.atlassian.com/servicedesk/customer/portal/23/JST-936610

It appears that the previous bug cited in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-69324 was closed without a fix.   The cause appears to have been a project key format customization that was outside the expected formats. I'm not sure that is the same cause here, but support can investigate this further to determine if there is a solution at hand.

0 votes
zshiro May 19, 2023

Hi @Daniel Eads ,

We had same error when creating Jira projects.

I've checked the global permission; Jira Administrator, and their user groups. It seems fine.

Can you please support us?

Thank you

0 votes
Rasmus_Norre_Sørensen February 25, 2020

I'm getting the same problem as @Mitzi Fox When I try to create a project I get the error message: "For some reason the magic didn't happen. Click Create to try again."

I'm the site admin and I'm also on the trial version.

I need to setup the my project before I will consider buying the solution.

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
February 26, 2020

Hey Ramsus,

Just following up here as I saw your other question on Community as well. I've opened up a support case for you so we can investigate what you're seeing in Jira. An email from our support system will have more information on next-steps.

Cheers,
Daniel | Atlassian Support

0 votes
Gregg Ord-Hume April 17, 2019

5 months later and this is still an issue! I cant create classic boards! and next-gen boards dont have tasks in stories. Why does technology always manage to mess us over! Always.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 17, 2019

What errors are you getting?

Embrenchia Snyman November 15, 2023
Project not created. For some reason the magic didn't happen. Click Create to try again.
0 votes
Mehmet Cedit November 19, 2018

I have the same problem here, contacted support hope it will be solved soon.

Mehmet Cedit November 20, 2018

Thy have applied a fix for my account and now it is working.

0 votes
Deleted user November 19, 2018

This is happening for our cloud instance, too.

It fails with "For some reason the magic didn't happen. Click Create to try again." but Issue Type Schemes, Screens, Screen Schemes a.s.o. get created, though.

The Audit Log doesn't show "Project created" but "Project deleted" for the projects in question.

@Scott Theus / @Daniel Eads, do I have to get in contact with Atlassian or is commenting here sufficient?

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 19, 2018

@[deleted] you will need to contact Atlassian Support:

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

-Scott

Deleted user November 19, 2018

Thanks!

Deleted user November 20, 2018

After contacting Atlassian Support, they got back to me quickly and solved the problem! In my case the problem was related to JSWCLOUD-17271.

Thanks!

0 votes
Gemma Sole November 2, 2018

I am also getting this error. I am on a license from Coursera course. This is a totally new account and I am the only admin of the projects I created...any other thoughts?

0 votes
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 1, 2018

Hi @Mitzi Fox,

Are you a Jira-Administrator? It could be a permissions issue, since only admins can create classic projects.

-Scott

Suggest an answer