Cannot create Feature Team for my Project

Colin Davidson April 18, 2023

I am a Jira Board Administrator but Team dropdown not available.  I have full rights to Admin my Project Board but no way to create a Feature Team for this Project.  Why?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2023

Hello @Colin Davidson 

Welcome to the Atlassian community!

Where are you expecting to see the Team dropdown? Are you expecting that to be a field in the issues?

Do you see an option for Teams in the menu bar at the top of the screen (in the same area as pull downs for Projects, Filters, and Dashboards)? Do you see a Plans option in the same menu bar?

Colin Davidson April 19, 2023

Hi Trudy... yes, it should be there.. here are my screens that I have available.  I have Plans available.  If that is where I can create a Feature Team, please link me to the workflow.. thanks!

issue_FT.PNGtop_menu.PNG

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2023

Feature Team appears to be a Select List (single choice) custom field that has been added to your instance and your project. 

Are these issues in a Team Managed project or a Company Managed project? That information will show at the bottom of the navigation pane on the left when you are viewing the project/board.

For a Company Managed project:

To add values to that list a Jira Administrator needs to go to the Custom Fields page and modify the Context for that field.

The Jira Administrator can click the gear icon next to their avatar in the upper right corner of the menu bar and select Issues. In the next screen, in the navigation bar on the left select Custom Fields. In the new screen search for the Feature Team  field. In my example a similar field is New Story Points Select.

Screen Shot 2023-04-19 at 10.19.01 AM.png

Click on the ... button to the right of the field and select Contexts and default value

Screen Shot 2023-04-19 at 10.19.53 AM.png

You will see a screen that shows the Contexts for the field. There will be a Default Configuration Scheme context, and possibly contexts for specific projects/issue types. If there is a context for the specific project/issue type you are working with, you'll need to modify the options in that context. If you want the change available for all projects/issues types that don't have a specific Context, modify the Default context.

Screen Shot 2023-04-19 at 10.21.23 AM.png

Here is a link to the documentation for Custom Field Context for Company Managed projects:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/configure-custom-field-context/

For a Team Managed project:

If this is a Team Managed project, then you would add options to a Selection List field through Project Settings > Issues Types, and select the issue type. Then click on the selection list field and edit the available options.

Screen Shot 2023-04-19 at 10.26.38 AM.png

I do not have those options..

Jira_Project_Settings.PNG

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 19, 2023

Are these issues in a Team Managed project or a Company Managed project? That information will show at the bottom of the navigation pane on the left when you are viewing the project/board.

Screen Shot 2023-04-19 at 11.59.18 AM.png

I do not see that information.. I believe it to be a Team Managed Project.  We have workflows and templates that are required to be used by the Company, but any Projects or Boards we create are by Team Administrators.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 19, 2023

Your post is tagged as Jira Cloud. Can you confirm for me that you are in fact using Jira Cloud? Is your instance URL similar to the following?

https://<yourCompany>.atlassian.net

If your URL does not include .atlassian.net then you are not using Jira Cloud.

You are instead using either Jira Server or Jira Data Center.

Another way to confirm you are using Jira Server or Jira Data Center is to look at the bottom of the Jira home screen for a version number, similar to this

Screen Shot 2023-04-19 at 12.23.05 PM.png

And if that is the case you won't see the note at the bottom of the navigation panel on the left. Only Company Managed projects are available in Jira Server and Jira Data Center.

If you are using Jira Server or Jira Data Center, then this is the link for managing the Contexts for custom fields.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/configuring-contexts-of-custom-fields-1047552717.html

ok.. that looks more like it but I also see it comes down to a permission issue.. I will need to pursue that on my end as I can only see "Projects" and none of the other selection sets.. Thank you for the guidance Trudy!

Like Trudy Claspill likes this

I may have assumed it was cloud.. I believe it to be Jira Server.. https://atc.company.net

Suggest an answer