Cannot connect to MySQL with JIRA Confi tool

Zachary Thomas September 15, 2017

Hi, my team has been using JIRA server for about a year now, and we are trying to switch from HSQLDB to mysql (we're still on v 6.4, but are trying to make this database change prior to upgrading to 7.0). I've followed the instructions online, but when I try to use the jira configuration tool to test my connection, I also get an error that says the following :

Attempting to connect to the MySQL database server...
Could not connect to the DB: Unknown database 'localhost:3306/jiradb'

I also used MySQL workbench to make sure that all of my database information was set up correctly.

Can someone please help me?

We really want to make this switch so that we can upgrade to one of the more recent versions of JIRA.

Thanks

Zach Thomas

3 answers

0 votes
Zachary Thomas September 18, 2017

I tried using my IP address instead of localhost and I got a new error.

Attempting to connect to the MySQL database server...
Could not connect to the DB: Access denied for user 'pljiraadmin'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

I also noticed that the jira configuration tool wrote a message on the command prompt when my connection failed which says:

WARN: Establing SLL connection without server's identity verification is not recommended. According to MySql 5.5.45+, 5.6.26+ AND 5.7.6+ requirements SLL connection must be established by default if explicit option isn't set. For compliance with existing applications not using SLL the verifyServerCertficate property is set to 'false'. You need either to explicitly disable SSL by setting useSSL=false, or set useSSL=true and provide truststore for server certificate verification.

I also tried disabling the firewall to see if that made any difference and it did not.

I checked the firewall rules as well when it is on, and there are no rules prohibiting connection.

Thanks

Zach Thomas

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 18, 2017

The error that you provided gives you two solutions.  I would try disabling SSL first by adding useSSL=false to you connection string.  If you are able to connect and everything is working then you know that your have to add the server cert to you truststore.  Let me know the outcome of disabling SSL.

Zachary Thomas September 19, 2017

Hi Brant,

I switched the ssl to off in the workbench. I don't have access to a connection string to add the useSSL command. I've attached screen shots to show my entries into the Jira Configuration tool and data from the workbench.

Thanks

Zach Thomasjira config tool screenshot.jpgmysql advanced info.jpgmysql connection info.pngmysql ssl info.jpgmysql workbench.jpg

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 20, 2017

What was the outcome of not using SSL?

Zachary Thomas September 20, 2017

I was still denied access. After a little more trouble shooting, I think the problem is with how I set up the database and how I'm accessing it. I've tried to access the database remotely without using jira configuration tool and just using the command line on another computer and I still get denied access.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 20, 2017

Sounds like you have a handle on it.  Once you get the DB configured properly and can connect then JIRA should be able to connect also.  Let me know if that is not the case.

0 votes
Suhas P
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 16, 2017

Use FQDN or IP instead of localhost.

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 15, 2017

Zachary,
I am assuming that you are running JIRA and the DB on the same server.  Try using the IP of the DB server and not localhost.  Depending on the OS you are running your server on you might have local firewall rules to change.  You could have network firewall rules as well.  Best of luck.  

Suggest an answer