Cannot assign all JIRA particulars to the Project

Ellen Gordeyev June 27, 2018

Created everything for the project, now have following problems - what am I doing wrong?!?:

Issue types - OK

Issue type schemes - no project assignedCapture1.JPG

Workflows - assigned to other's project workflow

Capture2.JPG

Workflow schemes – in inactive status

Capture3.JPG

Screens - OK

Screen schemes -OK

Issue Type Screen Schemes – no project assigned

Capture4.JPG

Custom fields - OK

Field Configurations - OK

Field configuration schemes – no project assigned

Capture5.JPG

4 answers

0 votes
jesusoros July 11, 2018

Hi @Ellen Gordeyev,

Access to the People option and make sure you have the same role as your PM and let me know if you´re able to see the Summary option please.

Let me know :)

Ellen Gordeyev July 11, 2018

Yes, I have some role as PM for this project - see attached

People on MDS BAU Project.JPG

Next? :)

jesusoros July 11, 2018

Ok, now lets validate that you have the permissions to edit and assign items to the projects.

Go to Site Administration

Select the People option

Look for your name and make sure it shows a little label named Site Admin and compare to look if your PM has it

Thanks!

Yeap! have it too:

Site Admin.jpg

The interesting thing is that my PM DOESN'T HAVE that Site Admin right, but she was the one who created the initial project (MDS BAU) and assigned some people to it. Capture1.JPG

Then she passed it to me to do the rest - and here I am, struggling :(((

E.

jesusoros July 11, 2018

A good question here would be: Is she able to assign the schemes as told before?

This situation appears when the Administrators create projects and miss to assign some of the default schemes to the project. On this matter, you must look for the System Administrator of your instance (look for the user on the People list that has the SITE ADMIN tag for them to make the change).

Sorry to hear about your problem, but these are your only options in this situation :(

Wouldn't it be easier to delete all the thing (new project) altogether and start from scratch? I think it's my only option now, as the only other Site Admin is our company is IT security guy, who has no idea how to do things in JIRA, I am afraid :(

Thanks.

Ellen.

Could you, please, tell me what default schemes should I assign to the project, if I would start to recreate it from scratch?.

jesusoros July 11, 2018

When you create a project, you must receive a set of preset type of projects. Choose any of them and check if the Summary option appears, then change them for the customized ones.

Will try, thanks!

Ellen Gordeyev July 19, 2018

Hey there, JIRA helper! :)

I deleted the new project that didn't work and started the one from scratch...

Everything goes well until I see in the other project (existing and functioning one) that it's trying to pick up the details (workflows) from newly created project. I've deleted that workflow of new project from the list of workflows on existing one, but it is asking me now to Publish the existing project workflow, and by publishing it's trying to integrate the issue types of the new project to the existing (which I don't want), When I discarding the draft (in hope that it will return to the existing workflows list), it again incorporated the workflow of a newly created project to the list (see pictures). Question is: how do I get rid of the new project workflow in the existing workflow list without changing anything in that existing workflow configuration?

MDS program Workflows - cannot delete MDS BAU workflow.jpg

jesusoros July 23, 2018

Hi Ellen,

Sorry for the delay. You must remember that Workflow Schemes allow you to choose what workflow will be applied to the Issue Types of your project. You are getting this situation because maybe you haven't edited the Workflow Scheme so all the Issue Types of your newly created project get the workflow you want them to use.

Also remember that the available Issue Types on the Workflow Scheme are pulled directly from your Issue Type Scheme. If you want some of the Issue Types not to show (that's what I understand you want to do based on the images) you must change your project's Issue Type Scheme.

Please let me know if it helps.

Ellen Gordeyev July 23, 2018

Thanks, Jesus! 

The workflow for the new project (MDS BAU) is new, not related to the workflow of the old project (MDS Program). And I seem to assign issue types correctly to the new workflow (see pics). 

Capture4.JPGCapture5.JPG

Ellen Gordeyev July 23, 2018

Another question: could I delete the new project's workflow from the list of old projects workflows? For some reason it's inserted there, and I don't need this particular new workflow (MDS BAU workflow) for the old project (MDS Program) workflows. If I delete it - would it only delete it from that project list, not totally erase it from the JIRA (I still need it for the new project)?

Capture3.png

jesusoros July 23, 2018

Hi Ellen,

That is correct, if you remove the workflow from that particular screen (Known as the Workflow Scheme page) it will remove the workflow from the scheme but it will exist on JIRA, just remember that if you're not able to find it on the "Workflow" option, look at the very end of that page and expand the information under "Inactive".

Please let me know if this information helps :)

Ellen Gordeyev July 24, 2018

Thanks, it helps a lot. Learning as I go :) 

Ellen Gordeyev July 24, 2018

Hey, Jesus!

Regarding your last answer - as soon as I deleted the new workflow from the old project, it asked me to publish. By publishing it (again!) trying to change the existing project workflow to the new one (see pic). Discarding publishing returns the new project workflow in the old project list... Wishes circle :((( How to resolve it?

Capture6.JPGCapture7.JPG

jesusoros July 24, 2018

Hi Ellen,

That is no error, what happened is that JIRA detected that your new workflow does not have statuses that your previous workflow had, so its asking you to tell JIRA what status should the issues (if any) on the project must adopt once you change the workflow.

If you have no issues on the project, you can leave everything to Open, other wise you can choose to what status should be moved when the change is performed.

Please let me know if the information helps :)

Ellen Gordeyev August 2, 2018

Not sure where my answers (and the next question) go :(

Your information helped, thanks Jesus!

Another question that I was asking - how I cannot attach the screens to some of my newly created transitions for the new project's workflow? Some of them don't have screens - see pic.

Capture1-1.jpg

0 votes
jesusoros July 9, 2018

Hi @Ellen Gordeyev,

Unfortunately you will not be able to aassign the missing parts since you do not have full admin rights (system administrator) in order to perform the task.

Please report this to your PM so she can follow the instructions given or for her to request full admin rights in order for you to perform the task.

Best of luck!

Ellen Gordeyev July 9, 2018

What right should I have to be able to see the SYSTEM option for my project?

Here what rights I have for this project  - isn't it enough?!

Ellen rights as ADMIN in JIRA.jpg

jesusoros July 9, 2018

You must have System Administration permissions in order for you to create custom fields, schemes, and some other components of Jira. You can validate that you have this permissions by clicking on the "Menu" Option on the right side of your screen (the three lines icon) and check if you have the "Site Administration" option (as shown below)

4.JPG

Please let me know.

Nope, don't have such option... Here is what I have:

Permissions in JIRA.JPG

Should I just delete the whole thing altogether and start from scratch?

@jesusoros

I finally got the Site Admin rights from my PM, but I still don't see the Summary on my newly created project:

Site Admin - no Summary.jpg

What is my next step? Please advise... Thanks.

0 votes
jesusoros July 9, 2018

Hi @ellen Gordeye,

I think I know what the problem is. It was very helpful to know that you were new into JIRA to think about a common issue.

Wha you need to do is follow this steps:

1.- Go to yur project

2.- Access the Settings tab

3.- Access the Summary option

4.- Access (in this Example) the Issue Type Scheme option as shown in the picture

1.JPG

5.- On the top right side, click on the Actions button and select the Use a different scheme (as shown on the picture)

2.JPG

6.- On the dropdown menu select the scheme you already created

3.JPG

The steps are exactly the same for the rest of the options on the Summary tab.

Please let me know if this information helped you.

Cheers!

Hi there (sorry, "Hi Jesus" sounds a bit odd :))) )!

Thanks for answering my multiple questions - appreciate your help!

Tried your suggested actions, but sorry - not working for me as I don't have Summary menu item for this project. 

See attached. 

Project Settings.jpgIssue types.jpgWhen clicking on Issue Types menu item I received following ( no Action option available). Please suggest what needs to be done in that case. 

0 votes
jesusoros June 27, 2018

Hi Ellen,

If I understand correctly, you were able to create all the schemes but yu're not able to assign them to your project?

I would check your account permissions, probably there is something missing that allow you to create the schemes but not to assign them to the projects.

Are you a System Administrator on your JIRA instance? (You are able to see the "System" option on the dropdown menu that appears when you click on the gear located right next to your picture on JIRA -top right corner)

Please let me know :)

Ellen Gordeyev June 28, 2018

Hi there!

I seem to have the JIRA Admin rights, as I can see the "System" option you've  mentioned: Capture11.jpg

The problem is that it was my PM who tried to create the new project, no me... She doesn't know JIRA, she end up only creating list of people for this project, and left all the other stuff for me to figure out :(

Capture12.jpg

I never was JIRA Admin before, so now I am struggling to setup this new project properly. There is one active project on JIRA already, and I am afraid to screw it up somehow :(((( Please help! Thanks you!

Ellen Gordeyev July 4, 2018

Checked all the rights in JIRA - seem to have ability to do everything, but still cannot see the project in a list in order to associate it with all the schemes, issues etc.

See attached...

MDS BAU project doesn't appear on a list.jpg

Any suggestions?

Suggest an answer