Cannot add an attachment through Mail handlers

Dinesh Loyapalli September 4, 2019

I am trying to create a ticket and add an attachment to it through incoming Mail handler . 

Tickets are being created. But the Mail handler, it doesn't add an attachment to the Ticket. Instead it is adding below error message as a comment to the Ticket:-

Error while attaching the files.PNG

Can you please help me out with this issue?

Thanks & Regards,

Dinesh

2 answers

0 votes
Nathan Pieper February 10, 2020

One additional thing to check.  Check if the Mail Handler Requestor value you choose and see if this user display value also exists as a Jira Service Desk User.  If you choose the Jira Service Desk portal user account, that doesn't have access to the project the Mail Handler is creating and issue in, then you'll receive the attachment error.

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 5, 2019

Hello Dinesh,

Thank you for reaching out.

Usually, the error you are facing are caused by one of the following reasons:

1 - The attachments you are trying to upload exceeds the size allowed by your JIRA instance. To check what is the attachment size allowed in your instance and optionally change it, you must be logged as a site-admin and navigate to JIRA Settings > System > Attachments > Edit settings:

Screen Shot 2019-09-05 at 18.11.31.png

2 - There is a property in the create transition of your workflow that prevents attachments from being added (Project settings > Workflow)

3 - Your user (or the one used as the default reporter in the e-mail handler) does not have the permission to Create attachments (Project Settings > Permissions)

Tip: Both 2 and 3 root causes can be ignored if you are able to add attachments when creating issues through JIRA UI

Let me know if this information helps.

Omid H_ December 3, 2019

Hi Petter,

I get the same error message and I checked all configurations that you mentioned.
I set a technical user as a default reporter in my mail handler. The technical user has the "Create attachments" permission and my attachmentsize is 12kb.

How can i fix it?

Srikanth_Rallabandi May 3, 2020

Hi,

Did you find solution to this? We too have same issue. 

1)File size is less than 10kb 

2)the user have create attachment permissions

3) i am able to add attachments while creating through UI

Like Kuharev Artem likes this
Tomas Bures September 3, 2023

I'm experiencing the similar issue. I can add the attachments through UI, but when I email the attachment as the same user, it does not get added. Could there be a problem with the type of the attachment?

Desiree_Anson January 29, 2024

I"m having this same issue 1/29/2024.  All emails sent and processed by the mail handlers that have attachments are not getting JIRA tickets created.  Attachment sizes are less than the amount limitation, other tickets are created fine as long as they don't have an attachment.  This keeps sporadically happening.  It really limits the usefulness of this product.

Alex Cheng April 18, 2024

We recently had to debug this issue as well. Looks like the name of the attachment matters. Looks like spaces in attachment names would cause the ticket creation to fail. That was our issue.

Suggest an answer