Can you sync closing/starting sprints across different projects?

Diana
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 1, 2023

I have Project A using scrum board with sprints "Sprint 1", "Sprint 2" etc.

Then I have Project B that works as a subset under Project A, but they have different schemas and issue types. However, they want to be under the same sprints as Project A.

Problem: when Project A closes Sprint 1 and starts Sprint 2, Project B's open issues are still stuck in Sprint 1 and doesn't get moved to Sprint 2. Note: I don't have any duplicate sprint names, there is only the sprints created under the Project A board.

Is there an automation, or a custom script that listens whenever Project A closes a sprint, moves open issues, and starts the next sprint, then Project B will automatically sync its open issues so that the sprint is the same as Project A?

1 answer

0 votes
Ditte Simard
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2023

Hey @Diana Gorv

Sprints "belong" to the single Board they are created on.  It is normally an accident when a Sprint pops up on multiple Boards (which can happen if multiple Boards are looking at some of the same issues and one of those issues gets assigned to a Sprint.  That Sprint will then pop up on all the Boards that the issue is a part of).  

If you really need to have multiple teams share the same Sprint, I would recommend that you have them use the same Board and use the Quick Filters to show "Team A Issues", "Team B Issues", and so on.  You can use the Team Field to assign Epics and Stories to different Teams and separate the work that way.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  

Is there any particular reason why you have to share a Sprint? 

Diana
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 1, 2023

@Ditte Simard thank you for the quick response

It's mainly due to the unique workflow, required fields, and issue types used. That's why they are separated as two different projects, but we are collaborating in the same sprint timeframe (we do 6 sprints per yearly quarters). And since Project A is the main project with the sprints already created, rather than duplicating the same sprint name to Project B and run the risk of confusing users with different sprints showing up on their boards, I'd figured there was an automation available to sync sprints across projects.

So sharing a board with using quick filters wouldn't work since there are different workflows involved and Project B has issue types not associated with Project A etc.

So there really is no automation or a custom script to achieve this?

Suggest an answer