Can you name a project the same name of a deleted project?

Shelley Black October 16, 2020

I deleted a project and I want to create a new project with the same name, but it is not allowing me to use the name. Am I able to override this feature anywhere so that I can use the name of a deleted project?

2 answers

1 vote
Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 16, 2020

Hi @Shelley Black 

On a Cloud Instances if you deleted a project, make sure that you've deleted it from the Trash bin from Jira Settings > Projects > Trash. If the same name string or key string still exist, it should prevent you.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 16, 2020

Name, yes, but not the key.  Jira keeps a record of deleted projects because you may have moved issues out of them into other projects, and it wants to keep the function that ABC-123 still takes you to the original issue even though it's now keyed DEF-456 (A new ABC project with 123 issues in it would break that)

Shelley Black October 16, 2020

Hmm. I'm seeing an error when trying to use the same name of the project as a deleted project but with a different key. Any suggestions?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 16, 2020

Ok, I'm stuck too - I just created a project, added an issue, deleted the project, then tried to create a new one with the same name and key - it stopped me when the key was the same as the old one, but not the name.

I think we might need to ask Atlassian about this one.

Like Cyrus Horne likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events