Can you make a field in next gen a mandatory field?

Ravi Mistry November 19, 2018

Hi, 

i'm looking into this new JIRA agility board and can't find anywhere I can make some of the fields mandatory

Is there a specific way I need to do this on next gen projects?

Thanks 

Ravi

7 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 19, 2018

Hi @Ravi Mistry,

Unfortunately this is not possible yet. As many thing currently this is on Atlassian Roadmap...

"Required fields, default values and more custom field types and options coming soon."

When this could be live? No idea. That is not an official information yet.

Pavel V
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 17, 2018

Hi Mirek and Ravi, please follow the roadmap page for updates: https://www.atlassian.com/roadmap/jira-software

Like Dave Liao likes this
Tom Leser January 30, 2019

Anybody know the status for required fields?  

@Pavel V, yes we are very aware of the roadmap page but what was once updated with "Shipped" items almost weekly or biweekly, now has zero updates for exactly 3 months.  Has JIRA Next-Gen reduced in priority for Atlassian as a whole?  

Eoin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 30, 2019

@Tom Leser apologies regarding the roadmap. This has slipped through the gaps for a while - I'm currently compiling all the updates and I will publish a new roadmap next week. 

With regards to required fields, a change in priorities means this will be removed from shipping soon and falls back into the backlog of changes for next-gen projects.

Again apologies for the inconvenience this will cause.

Like Dave Liao likes this
Christian Zelada July 31, 2019

Can we vote to raise priority or something?

Really miss this in nex-gen projects.

Like # people like this
JD Clermont November 5, 2019

This is over a year! This is a public company! OMG! wow 

Like Sam Mohyee likes this
Carlos Tolosa January 13, 2020

Hello! 2020 arrived and a pretty basic functionality such as mandatory fields is not there yet. Bump for this.

Joe Ocampo January 20, 2020

As everyone else is saying, when can we expect this basic feature to be available? It's like selling an expensive car without windshield wipers. 

Ralphette English January 30, 2020

Nov. 2018 - first comment. 

Jan. 2020 - still no update. I DO NOT want to go through a migration back to classic just to have basic functionality. 

Ans Hassel June 23, 2020

hmmm, ther is a lot i like about next gen projects, but some things i expected to be available are not. bummer... considering migrating back

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 21, 2020

If anyone here is interested in making fields required in next gen projects, I would vote up JSWCLOUD-17631 (which I just did).

Like Pavel V likes this
hullen February 1, 2021

Nov. 2018 - first comment. 

Jan. 2020 - still no update. 

Feb. 2021 - still no update. 

Like # people like this
Brandin Lewis March 24, 2021

@hullen - typical JIRA - Nothing ever gets done.

I wonder if the JIRA team uses a broken JIRA how could we expect anything more?

Rajesh Dawar March 28, 2021

Atlassian - please add this basic feature asap!

Dan Churchill April 12, 2022

Almost 4 years and this basic requirement isn't available in NextGen.

If Atlassian was a new company and they released NextGen as a product it would fall flat on its face. It's an incomplete offering.

2 votes
Eoin
Atlassian Team
February 2, 2021

Hi @Ravi Mistry - it's not possible to have a mandatory field on issue creation in next-gen projects; however it is possible to create a workflow rule to check a field has been populated on transition to another status "Check an issue's field" https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/add-or-remove-workflow-rules-in-next-gen-projects-1005805110.html#:~:text=Rules%20help%20you%20streamline%20your,workflows%20in%20next%2Dgen%20projects.

For mandatory fields on issue creation, you can add your vote to the feature suggestion here https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17631  This will happen, although not likely in the next 12 months. 

Apologies for the inconvenience!

matt.belway March 1, 2021

This rule doesn't work for us. Should it stop the transition from happening if the rule isn't fulfilled?

Eoin
Atlassian Team
March 2, 2021

@matt.belway it should prevent the transition happening. Can you share a screenshot of your rule and explain what it is you are trying to do?

2 votes
Hitesh_Goenka January 7, 2020

Is there an add-on app we can use for this?

1 vote
Dayong Wang August 11, 2020

I suffered this issue for a while. With the recent automation feature, I had the following workaround solution as the site admin. 

Trigger: when a new task is created and required custom field is not filled. 

Action: Send the initiator an email cc to me telling the required field is blank. 

Rajesh Dawar March 28, 2021

You still let the task to be created with the blank "mandatory" field. If you have standard jira this automation could easily use up the 1000 max usage per month.

0 votes
Mike Pearson July 10, 2022

JSWCLOUD-17631 says it will be available end of 2022.

0 votes
Ivan Pospisil February 7, 2022

I'm new at Jira, at work before we suppose to use our developed product. But from now on what I see, is Jira need to make money on APP so they get rid of basic functionality and literally force companies to use external JIRA APP. 
It is a big shame. 

0 votes
Deleted user May 9, 2020

Any forecast for having this Field Mandatory option?

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 21, 2020

@[deleted] - doesn't seem so. I'd vote up JSWCLOUD-17631 if you're interested in being able to set fields as required in next gen projects.

Like Pavel V likes this

Suggest an answer