Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Can you make a field in next gen a mandatory field?

Hi, 

i'm looking into this new JIRA agility board and can't find anywhere I can make some of the fields mandatory

Is there a specific way I need to do this on next gen projects?

Thanks 

Ravi

5 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted

Hi @Ravi Mistry,

Unfortunately this is not possible yet. As many thing currently this is on Atlassian Roadmap...

"Required fields, default values and more custom field types and options coming soon."

When this could be live? No idea. That is not an official information yet.

Pavel V Atlassian Team Dec 17, 2018

Hi Mirek and Ravi, please follow the roadmap page for updates: https://www.atlassian.com/roadmap/jira-software

Like Dave Liao likes this

Anybody know the status for required fields?  

@Pavel V, yes we are very aware of the roadmap page but what was once updated with "Shipped" items almost weekly or biweekly, now has zero updates for exactly 3 months.  Has JIRA Next-Gen reduced in priority for Atlassian as a whole?  

Eoin Atlassian Team Jan 30, 2019

@Tom Leser apologies regarding the roadmap. This has slipped through the gaps for a while - I'm currently compiling all the updates and I will publish a new roadmap next week. 

With regards to required fields, a change in priorities means this will be removed from shipping soon and falls back into the backlog of changes for next-gen projects.

Again apologies for the inconvenience this will cause.

Like Dave Liao likes this

Can we vote to raise priority or something?

Really miss this in nex-gen projects.

Like # people like this

This is over a year! This is a public company! OMG! wow 

Like Sam Mohyee likes this

Hello! 2020 arrived and a pretty basic functionality such as mandatory fields is not there yet. Bump for this.

As everyone else is saying, when can we expect this basic feature to be available? It's like selling an expensive car without windshield wipers. 

Nov. 2018 - first comment. 

Jan. 2020 - still no update. I DO NOT want to go through a migration back to classic just to have basic functionality. 

hmmm, ther is a lot i like about next gen projects, but some things i expected to be available are not. bummer... considering migrating back

Dave Liao Community Leader Sep 21, 2020

If anyone here is interested in making fields required in next gen projects, I would vote up JSWCLOUD-17631 (which I just did).

Like Pavel V likes this

Nov. 2018 - first comment. 

Jan. 2020 - still no update. 

Feb. 2021 - still no update. 

Like # people like this

@hullen - typical JIRA - Nothing ever gets done.

I wonder if the JIRA team uses a broken JIRA how could we expect anything more?

Atlassian - please add this basic feature asap!

Is there an add-on app we can use for this?

I suffered this issue for a while. With the recent automation feature, I had the following workaround solution as the site admin. 

Trigger: when a new task is created and required custom field is not filled. 

Action: Send the initiator an email cc to me telling the required field is blank. 

You still let the task to be created with the blank "mandatory" field. If you have standard jira this automation could easily use up the 1000 max usage per month.

1 vote
Eoin Atlassian Team Feb 02, 2021

Hi @Ravi Mistry - it's not possible to have a mandatory field on issue creation in next-gen projects; however it is possible to create a workflow rule to check a field has been populated on transition to another status "Check an issue's field" https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/add-or-remove-workflow-rules-in-next-gen-projects-1005805110.html#:~:text=Rules%20help%20you%20streamline%20your,workflows%20in%20next%2Dgen%20projects.

For mandatory fields on issue creation, you can add your vote to the feature suggestion here https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17631  This will happen, although not likely in the next 12 months. 

Apologies for the inconvenience!

This rule doesn't work for us. Should it stop the transition from happening if the rule isn't fulfilled?

Eoin Atlassian Team Mar 02, 2021

@matt_belway it should prevent the transition happening. Can you share a screenshot of your rule and explain what it is you are trying to do?

0 votes
Deleted user May 09, 2020

Any forecast for having this Field Mandatory option?

Dave Liao Community Leader Sep 21, 2020

@[deleted] - doesn't seem so. I'd vote up JSWCLOUD-17631 if you're interested in being able to set fields as required in next gen projects.

Like Pavel V likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Marketplace Apps & Integrations

Staying organized with Jira: best practices for a better project management

Project managers know this problem: A “mountain of work” lays in front of you, and you don’t know how and where to tackle them. Different to-dos lie ahead, but just one task after the other can be ha...

236 views 2 1
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you