Can you change a project type?

Christopher Bone April 11, 2018

I have a project that was setup as "Project Management" that I would like to change to "Kanban". Is this possible? 

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2018

Those two words are templates for project creation, not the types.

The types of project are Core/Business, Software and Service Desk.

If you edit the project, you'll see the type is probably Core/Business at the moment, so change that to Software to allow for Kanban (and other Agile) boards.

Thank you. I have changed the project type to Software, but I cannot find how to change the template to kanban. Can you point me in that direction? 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2018

You don't change the board you simply create a new board and choose Kanban. After that, if you wish, you can delete previous board.

There is no option to create a new board for this project. It is available for other projects, but not the one I need it on. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 11, 2018

How are you attempting to add a board? I assume you are on server version? If you go to where you manage all boards and select Create Board, can you not add a board for the project?

I am not on a server version. For this specific software project, the option to add a board does not exist. It is there for other projects, but not for the one I need it on. It looks like my only option is to create a new project from scratch, transfer all issues from current project and create a board. (which is something I was trying to avoid)

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 11, 2018

bare w/ me here...

since you are on cloud do the following

1. click on magnifying glass
  2. select view all boards
  3. select Create Board
  4. you should see the following and then select Kanban

Boards_-_JIRA.png

5. then select Board from existing project and you should see the following - is this where you say you are not seeing your project in the Project field?

boards.png

Like Scott Gold likes this

Got it! Thank you very much

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 11, 2018

Just for future reference, the templates within each "type" of project are useful, but they're only used at creation time, to guide what is initially created.  They have no effect after the creation process.

Personally, I find this wording a bit confusing, I would have preferred "type" to be called "Application-type" or something, so the project type is clear - it's an indicator of which of the three Jira applications it functions with.

0 votes
Bob Moore April 11, 2018

Adding to what Nic said, it's also possible to use JIRA Core functionality to utilize boards if that is the only requirement (Cloud version only). 'Labs' needs to be enabled but this is not fully tested or promoted into the core product so use at your own risk.

Suggest an answer