Can you add swimlanes to a business project board?

Brad Kagawa January 31, 2018

I'm trying to create a lightweight to-do list that exists outside of my main software projects and I am finding all of the options not helpful. I like how business projects only expose a simple Kanban-style board with a "Create" button right there and no backlog to worry about. This works well for my needs. 

- but-

My big problem is the inability to further manage the Kanban board. I'd like to organize into swimlanes based on Assigneee or Epic or JQL like I can with software projects. Is this possible? Or if not how can I get the lightweight "Create" button into a different project type?

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 31, 2018

Business boards don't have swimlanes.

Scrum and Kanban do have a limited simple create in their backlog though.

That's what I feared, seems very arbitrary.

If not swimlanes is there any other way to organize a business board outside of the workflow?

Thanks for the super quick response!

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 31, 2018

No, the business boards are deliberately very simple. 

I'll mess around with a stripped down software board then.

Thanks again for the info!

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 31, 2018

I may be missing something but in case I'm not...You can create a board outside of the default Business Project board using your profile as the location (you can't associated the board directly to the project). In that board you can add swim lanes, columns, etc.

Note: this is on cloud so maybe server is different?

Yep, I'm on cloud version.

I think if I take that approach, there isn't much functional difference between having it be a software project. The thing I do like about the business project is the board view is super clean and I can really easily add items inline (not using the create button in the top nav):

kanban.png

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 31, 2018

agreed. I do use the default board for quickly adding tasks at the beginning of a project but then move to the more complete board to manage the project.

Suggest an answer