Can workflow transition trigger other workflow?

Mario July 15, 2021

Hi there,

I am trying to implement a change management process, and I'm facing following challenge. In the process there are steps 14 - Inform release and deployment manager and 15 - Review change. Between these steps there is a trigger to a separate process - Release and Deployment Process. In practice it means, that after step 14 is performed and before step 15 can be performed, the entire Release and Deployment Process must be performed.

I was wondering how can it be implemented in Jira? I found "Create A linked Issue Workflow Post-Function", but as far as I can see it only creates separate issue, but does not restrict Step 15 from performing, before this linked issue is completed. Has anyone implemented similar logic in their workflows and can advise?

Many thanks :)

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 15, 2021

Do you already have something partially configured for this, or are you starting from scratch?

How are the 15 steps currently tracked for an issue? Do you have each one as a Status for the issue? If so, then you would need to add a Condition to the Workflow Transitions into the Status for step 15 to prevent the issue from transitioning to step 15 until the condition is met.

How is the work in the Release and Deployment Process tracked? Is that tracked as a separate issue that is linked to the original issue?

Do you have any third party apps installed on your instance that extend the workflow functionality?

What version of Jira Server are you using?

Mario July 16, 2021

Hi, thanks for reply.

I'm starting from scratch, at the moment I only have "Change" Issue type and workflow implemented. Process steps are tracked as statuses in the workflow, I'm planning to install Jira Applications Suite Utilities and my server version is v8.17.0.

Since this is still work in progress, my question is purely theoretical, what is the best way to implement this? Are you suggesting to create new issue type "Release and Deployment", and add "Create A linked Issue Post-Function" and "Sub-Task Blocking Condition" to the workflow transition before step 15? Would that do the job, or are there other post-functions and conditions that would work better in this scenario?

Sorry for these silly questions, I'm new to Jira administration and I don't know all functions, validators, conditions and how they work yet :) Many thanks for advice.

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 19, 2021

By no means your questions are silly.
All I read (assuming I understood them also correctly) are common use cases and common requirements throughout businesses.
Atmosphere here in Community is very open and friendly - just ask, most times you get a proper and fitting answer.

You mentioned you want to bring "JSU Automation Suite" in, correct?
If so you would need to introduce a validator in transition to step 15 to validate that the linked issue is already closed (that would be reflecting from my understanding that Release and Deployment Process ran fully through).

Here you can find the matching documentation:

Using the Post Function "Create A linked Issue Workflow Post-Function" (for step 14) sounds to me reasonable - I can't spot any obvious error from your plans.

Regards,
Daniel

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer