Can we run into any issues updating a persons username?

Calvin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 17, 2023

Hi everyone, I know not directly a question but more hoping to get some advice. I'm looking at changing some users username in Data Center.

I've changed my own and seems to be okay, so far in re-searching the main issues I find are:

• @Mentions don't work (they show up as plain text)
  • Filters that check on users don't work

All mentioned in: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-70685

Is there anything else I'm missing? I'm guessing quick filters would also be an issue? Could there be any problems in previous reports or boards or anything? Has someone had to do the same before and had any other things I have to be careful of?

Thanks, would love your advice!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Sagar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2023

Hi @Calvin We have also updated the usernames in Jira and yes there are some static references which does not updates with new username and to fix those we have created the custom development which update the old references of username with the new username.

So would suggest to check the below object references once you update any test users username to confirm if you need to update them or Jira itself update them after the username is updated

• Check New username is updated in the projects Role or not
  • Check New username is updated in the Board administrator permissions or not
  • Check New username is updated in the Board quick filters or not.
  • Check New username is updated in Jira general filters or not.
  • Check New username is updated in Board swim lanes query or not.
  • Check New username is updated in Board Card color query or not.
  • Check New username is updated in issues comments or not (Both in comment author and user mentioned in the comment )
  • Check New username is updated in issues description or not if user is mentioned in issue description.
  • Check New username is updated in user picker fields or not.
  • Check New username is updated in Automation rules or not (Be it used in Automation Rule JQL query or Owner or Actor of that automation rule)
  • Check New username is used in any script-runner script if you are using script-runner plugin that also need to be updated.

As per my experience most of the board related configs username is not update by default and need to update later, also with automation rule and script runner config.

You can test with your test user and confirm where you need to change the username manually.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks

Sagar

Calvin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 19, 2023

Great answer, thanks so much mate, this is an amazing list and something I feel would be useful for Atlassian to place somewhere. So far I've noticed the filters and swimlane queries and mentions. But will definitely test out the rest.

Thanks again mate!

Like Sagar likes this

Suggest an answer