Can we configure Create Branch to use a separate repo for some issue types?

jmcmullen April 3, 2019

In our setup, we have three repositories on Bitbucket: two for documents, one for the source. However, a ticket with the issue subtype documentation might actually involve a code change in any (or all) of the three.

It looks like the Create Branch link creates a branch in the source repo associated with the project...which is usually not the repo the documenter has to touch. Hence, the Create Branch link is useless for me, as the documenter.

Do not question or rail against the setup; it is a given, inherited from the Before Times (that is, before I joined the team).

This create branch feature of Jira works very well for the coders. It works passably well for the testers. It does not work for the documenters.

So the questions are:

1. Can the system be configured to ask dynamically which repo should have the branch?
  2. Can this dynamic choice be configured to make the offer only for certain issue subtypes?
  3. If yes for both (1) and (2), is it a relatively easy configuration change that I can request from my administrator in another country? (I don't know the person well, so I would not be comfortable asking for setting changes, custom JavaScript, and CSS all together.)
  4. If yes for all of the preceding, what are the instructions (or a pointer to same) that I pass my Jira Administrator?

I have a workaround ("Create the branch manually"). The default is acceptable to most of the team. That link, though, it taunts me so, and if I hit it, I create needless complications.

If nothing can be done, hey, that's life. However, I'd feel foolish if I didn't check.

0 answers

Suggest an answer